200 E. North Avenue
Baltimore City Public Schools uses many tools to share information and news about the great things happening in our schools. Under the direction of the executive director for communications, the web and digital media specialist leads digital content strategy (across web, social media, etc.) and digital components of communications campaigns. This position has primary responsibility for development and maintenance of content on the school district's website, with a new site under development and anticipated to launch in January 2019. The specialist serves as primary point of contact for internal information technology staff and external vendors on technical requirements for the district website, creates and edits multimedia digital content, and provides digital communication advice and support to school-based staff interested in managing their own websites and social media accounts.
- In collaboration with communications staff members as appropriate, works with content owners across district offices and schools to develop high-quality content for the district's new website, now in development and anticipated to launch January 2019, with content potentially to include text, graphics, images, video, audio, and other multimedia.
- Assists in developing and disseminating web content standards, to include both adherence to written styles requirements and to design style sheets.
- Writes web text and review content written by others for posting, ensuring adherence to established content standards.
- Identifies gaps in website content and develop plans to fill them.
- Ensures currency and accuracy of all posted website content, as well as adherence to accessibility standards.
- Serves as primary point of contact with technical vendors and internal information technology staff, managing and reporting on status of contracts and agreements.
- Modifies aspects of the website "back end" (Drupal content management system) to meet emerging needs.
- Establishes and maintains positioning for existing district social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo, ensuring each presents a positive image of City Schools for defined audiences.
- Advises on integration of social media into communications campaigns for district initiatives (e.g., pre-k enrollment, middle and high school choice), and execute social media components of those campaigns.
- Manages social media advertising.
- Makes recommendations regarding district adoption of new social media accounts or channels.
- Reviews and updates social media guidance.
- Advises schools and departments on website development and social media use.
- Sets goals for website and social media reach, use metrics to assess success, and report regularly on those metrics
- Uses metrics to identify areas for improvement and develop plans to address them.
- Supports staff members and schools use of the district's robocall/text messaging system.
- Supports use of the district's mass emailing system.
- Serves as a critical member of the district's communications team, assisting where needed with general department tasks.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies and contractual agreements; follows federal laws, state laws, school board's policies and the professional standards.
Outstanding benefits package, including healthcare and retirement. Read more on the district's website.
Level of Language Proficiency
Outstanding skills in oral and written English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit Baltimore City Public Schools' online job postings at this link and search for the position title "Specialist - Web and Digital Media" in the "classified/support" category.