4085 52nd Street
POSITION TITLE: Director of Operations (DOO)
LOCATION: City Heights main; expected travel to Oceanside
SUPERVISOR: Chief Executive Officer
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, occasional weekends
SALARY RANGE: $62,000-$73,500 annual
CLOSING DATE: 09/21/2018
Founded by former AFL/NFL player Ernest H. Wright, Sr. and incorporated as a 501(c)(3) public charity in 1994, Pro Kids, The First Tee of San Diego, is a leader in providing underserved youth in San Diego County opportunities through positive life-changing experiences. Pro Kids challenges youth to excel in life by promoting character development, life skills, and values through education and the game of golf.
Pro Kid | The First Tee of San Diego is a committed community of excellence through our shared values of:
- Perpetual Growth
- Building Community
- Good Stewardship
- Compassionate Communication
- Embracing Challenge
Pro Kids | The First Tee of San Diego has two primary program campuses in City Heights & Oceanside.
Position Summary: The Director of Operations (DOO) will continuously lead a comprehensive evaluation of business processes, staffing, and technology needs to ensure that Pro Kids can provide high quality, impactful services to its youth. The DOO will work closely with the CEO to grow the organization, continually improve, and increase the agency’s leadership position in the nonprofit sector. The DOO ensures that all programs and operations are performing to the highest level.
This role requires the DOO to see the big picture, manage details, be responsive, and possess good project management, financial accounting acumen, collaboration, networking and exceptional communication skills. This person serves as a connecting tissue throughout the organization, bringing together all positions to ensure they are meeting the goals and established trajectory of the agency.
The DOO also serves as lead program implementer and supervisor of our Pro Kids Academy. The Pro Kids Academy is a structured academic and attendance-based program to helps kids 1) achieve grade-level proficiency in reading and math, 2) gain interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) studies, and 3) develop skills, such as resilience and self-sufficiency – all with golf at the foundation. A typical Academy month includes literacy and math enrichment activities, golf lessons, experiential learning (STEM), field trips, and community service projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the CEO to develop the pathways for future growth and strategies
- Primary focus is as the internal leader of the organization, providing staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence
- Conduct general systems analysis and change, and guide the implementation of continual process mapping and process improvement
- Provide guidance and leadership through management of the organization’s program metrics and impact measurement reporting process in all facets including business modeling, fundraising, growth strategies, etc.
- Structure, lead, and mentor the staff to deliver outstanding work in the community
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Bring the staff together regularly to ensure strong cross-departmental training and communications
- Supervises Program Site Directors and additional staff, as assigned
- Oversee all administrative functions and maintain lines of communication, keeping the CEO informed of all critical issues
- Lead and assist annual budgeting process and provide financial accounting acumen
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Board's program and operations committee
- Be the key operational problem solver where issues are escalated for resolution
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, including contracts, leases, and insurance procurement
- Lead and manage all areas related to the facility, equipment and technology
- Maintain on-going relationships and communications with outside vendors and facility partners
- Work with the CEO in the implementation of long-range strategic plans and annual operational plans
- Ensure that the organization is adhering to its strategic plan and deliver status reports to CEO and board
- Track the performance of direct reports against the annual plan
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to build strong relationships with board and community members
- Ability to work flexible hours required
- Must have the ability to maintain and develop organizational strategies through effective utilization of acquired skills and provide leadership to promote the mission of Pro Kids
- Understanding and experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), budgeting, and fiscal management best practices
- Must possess excellent communication skills at all levels, be an effective role model and be able to plan and direct the work of others
- Ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, and work under pressure
- Must have high level of professionalism
- Create clear and pertinent data reports on program impact
- Must possess valid CA Driver's License with a good driving record and have access to a reliable, properly insured vehicle for travel
- Advanced Degree in Human Services related field or Business Administration
- 5 years or more related experience in organizational operations, human services administration including a high degree of management and supervisory experience or;
- Graduate degree or higher in a related discipline with equivalent in experience as defined above highly desirable
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Position requires standing, walking, crawling, and sitting. Position involves use of a keyboard involving repetitive motions with fingers, and the use of a telephone and face-to-face communications that require accurate perception of speech as well as talking and hearing. Position requires the use of tools or controls. Position also requires close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is occasionally required to sit. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualification and Training Requirements (within 30 days of employment)
- Completion of Child Abuse Prevention training
- CPR, First Aid; AED Certification
Prior to reporting to work
- Clear background check
- Clear DMV driving record
Primary office location is 4085 52nd Street San Diego, CA 92105. Regular travel to Oceanside campus for operations and staff tasks are expected.
Target full-time salary is between $62,000 and $73,500 commensurate with experience. Eligible benefits include health, dental, simple IRA match and regular access to golf facilities.
Pro Kids provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Health, Dental, Simple IRA match
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual; English and Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required