Details: Commensurate with Experience
645 Saint Nicholas Avenue
Harlem School of the Arts Employment Opportunity
Director of Theater
Harlem School of the Arts seeks a passionate, experienced Director of Theater with a proven track record, strong knowledge of theater education and experience working with elementary, middle, high school, and adult actors. The ideal candidate has performing arts experience and is well-versed in curriculum development and program administration for elementary, middle, high school and adult students. He or she is energetic and flexible and has a background in theater education, classroom management, budgeting, and arts administration.
Harlem School of the Arts has an integrated professional theater department which trains actors of all ages and abilities and produces programs for youth, community, and family audiences. Its goal is to educate, challenge, and inspire new generations of theater artists and audiences with exceptional theatrical experiences.
The successful candidate will value the rich cultural history and diversity of the community, will ensure all theater education programs are executed within vision of the HSA mission, and will uphold a culture of Excellence, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of this award-winning, historically important arts institution.
The Director of Theater leads the HSA Theater Department including Theater Enrichment classes, College Preparatory Training, the Pre-Professional Company, Residencies, Public Theater Programs, and Student Productions. The Director of Theater will oversee the administrative aspects of the HSA Theater Department, promoting its programs, developing audiences, managing budgets, cultivating partnerships, and contributing to strategic and programmatic planning for the organization.
The Director of Theater will develop curriculum, grow enrollment, and implement best practices in Theater education in the Theater Department. This individual will be able to work independently and as part of a collaborative team to inspire the creativity that nurtures great art, artists, and audiences. He or she must be a self-starter who thrives in a creative environment and has a passion for youth, the arts, and community engagement.
The Director of Theater will:
· Serve as the main point of contact for the HSA Theater Department
· Respond to inquiries from students or parents of students enrolled or considering enrollment
· Recruit and oversee Theater Department faculty
· Hire and supervise production and technical personnel as needed
· Manage theater program budget and ensure all theater program expenses stay within the approved budget
· Manage and develop community and theater industry partnerships and relationships that strengthen community ties and offer opportunities for HSA and its students
· Cultivate collegial relationships with colleagues
· Substitute teach as needed
· Oversee Teaching Artist and Student Assessment processes
• Minimum of 5 years experience in theater education
• Experience developing age-appropriate curriculum and lesson plans for all ages
• Demonstrated experience working in a team environment
• Ability to collaborate across disciplines of music, dance, and other arts genres
• Experience developing public programs for all ages
• Theater operations and production experience
• Experience with arts assessments to evaluate program outcomes
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Budgeting and financial management skills
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline-oriented environment
• Staff supervision experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, Master’s Degree preferred
Harlem School of the Arts is located at 645 St. Nicholas Avenue in Harlem. It is easily accessible via the A,C,B, and D subway trains.
About Harlem School of the Arts:
Harlem School of the Arts enriches the lives of young people and their families through world-class training in and exposure to the arts across multiple disciplines (Art, Music, Dance and Theater) in an environment that emphasizes rigorous training, stimulates creativity, builds self-confidence, and adds a dimension of beauty to their lives.
Harlem School of the Arts is able to achieve this with the exceptional participation of our family of loyal donors, dedicated parents, involved alumni and generous guest and resident artists.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for the Harlem School of the Arts Director of Theater position, please submit a resume and cover letter to Lynne Toye, Chief Administrative Officer, at email@example.com. Please indicate Applicant: Director of Theater in the subject line.