The Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund (CFE Fund) supports municipal efforts to improve the financial stability of households by leveraging opportunities unique to local government. By translating cutting-edge experience with large-scale programs, research, and policy in cities of all sizes, the CFE Fund assists mayors and other local leaders to identify, develop, fund, implement, and research pilots and programs that help families build assets and make the most of their financial resources. Financial empowerment spans four key disciplines:
- Professional financial counseling and education
- Access to safe and affordable mainstream banking products and services
- Short- and long-term asset building
- Consumer protection in the financial services marketplace
The CFE Fund is seeking a talented and experienced Senior Associate to work closely with the Chief of Research, Evaluation and Finance and program teams, with a focus on exploring large datasets and supporting the development of new projects for the purpose of ongoing learning and improvement as well as demonstrating the impact of key CFE Fund initiatives.
This is a New York City-based role and may require some domestic travel. The CFE Fund is currently operating largely remotely but will be returning to a hybrid virtual/in-person work format when public health guidance allows.
- Support supervisor with project design and planning o Establish and prioritize goals with input from key staff;
- Identify specific research questions or hypotheses and data needed;
- Design methodology balancing objectives, available resources, and timeframe.
- Manage a portfolio of research projects
- Coordinate data collection with internal teams and research partners;
- Manage external partnerships including with grantees, consultants and vendors;
- Ensure objectives are met within approved budgets and deadlines;
- Provide technical assistance, troubleshooting, and other support when needed;
- Ensure all active projects are moving forward.
- Conduct quantitative analyses o Extract and clean data, transforming or calculating new variables if necessary;
- If appropriate, merge with external data sets (e.g. Census);
- Run a variety of descriptive statistics, cross-tabs, pivot tables, etc. and discuss preliminary findings with program teams to interpret and decide what to pursue further;
- If appropriate, determine and use appropriate bivariate and multivariate statistics to determine the interdependency of key variables;
- Review quantitative work done by external consultants.
- Conduct qualitative analyses
- Code qualitative datasets such as case notes, stakeholder interviews, or survey responses for patterns and themes;
- Support the development of qualitative data gathering tools (e.g., focus group scripts and protocols, survey questions and scales, rubrics);
- Compile and summarize background documents.
- Prepare and present findings o Create data visualizations and advise graphic designer for advanced visualizations;
- Prepare meaningful, accessible reports in multiple formats for various stakeholders;
- Present plans and results to CFE Fund executives, funders, grantees and other partners;
- Facilitate data interpretation and use for continuous improvement.
Minimum Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, or at least 10 years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree
- 5 years of professional experience in social sciences, economics, social psychology, statistics, policy analysis, local government, or program evaluation
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Advanced proficiency in R (multiple statistical software packages welcomed)
- Demonstrated experience in qualitative research, including coding qualitative data
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis, including descriptive and inferential statistics and data visualization
- English fluency, with excellent written and verbal communication including the ability to explain analytical processes to team members and document processes for replication
- Accuracy, attention to detail
- Strong time- and project-management skills, with ability to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities, keep on track with deliverables, and meet deadlines
- Interest in and commitment to using research to advance social justice and economic empowerment, in line with the CFE Fund’s mission
- Inquiry-based mindset: an orientation toward asking critical questions of data and designing innovative research questions
Additional Qualifications / Preferences:
- Master’s degree, doctoral studies or PhD
- Experience in working with local governments, nonprofits, foundations, or think tanks
- Interest in consumer finance, anti-poverty programs, and/or local government
- Familiarity with economic and social science theories that affect research design and methodology
- Familiarity with extracting data from Salesforce and/or other complex relational databases
- Experience with geocoding and mapping data
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, ability to anticipate and mitigate study limitations
- High motivation and ability to take initiative and move projects forward
- Flexible team player who enjoys the challenges of supporting an entrepreneurial organization