Details: Salary is dependent upon qualifications.
Education Through Music-Los Angeles makes comprehensive, in-school music education a reality for thousands of Los Angeles County children who would otherwise have limited or no exposure to the arts; uses music instruction to strengthen students' ability to learn in all areas; and works to build schools' capacity to sustain programs. Founded in 2006, Education Through Music-Los Angeles is based on the ETM model which has successfully served New York City schools since 1991.
Education Through Music-Los Angeles forms long-term partnerships with elementary and middle schools which lack sufficient resources for school-wide music education. Typically, over 90% of the students are minorities, over 80% qualify for the Federal Free/Reduced Price Lunch Program, and approximately 10% have special needs. In just 12 years, ETM-LA has expanded from serving two schools and 800 children its first year to a planned 30 schools and approximately 14,000 schoolchildren this year.
The ideal HR Manager candidate will support the full scope of Human Resources responsibilities and partner with the organization on strategic initiatives. They will maintain and enhance ETM-LA’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating human resources policies, programs, and practices. This is a full-time or part-time, exempt position for a rising professional who wants to grow with Education Through Music-Los Angeles; the HR Manager will directly report to and work closely with the Director of Operations & Finance to help further ETM-LA’s values, organizational growth, and mission.
The HR Manager will provide key expertise and HR management to help ensure that every child, regardless of socio-economic status, receives quality music education in order to reach their fullest potential.
Manage Employment Processes (40%)
• Conduct initial screening of job applicants and schedule subsequent interviews as appropriate
• Conduct reference and background checks in accordance with ETM-LA policy
• Perform initial systems setup for new office staff, interns/volunteers, and music teachers
• Respond to employment verification requests in accordance with ETM-LA policy
• Manage and conduct sourcing for job openings, including advertiser selection, ad drafting, ad posting, and pro-active prospect outreach
• Draft termination letters and severance agreements, with support from ETM-LA’s pro bono counsel as needed; Conduct exit interviews and collate exit interview data for later review
• Disable systems access, coordinate return of ETM-LA property, reclamation of employee personal property, provide benefits continuation information, and provide other administrative support for terminated employees
Manage HR Benefits (25%)
• Manage employee benefit enrollments, changes, and administration (e.g. health insurance/COBRA, dental, 403(b) retirement plan, and unemployment/disability/worker’s comp)
• Communicate benefits status changes requiring payroll adjustments to Finance department
• Assist with the annual review, analysis, research, and selection of benefits plans
• Serve as liaison to insurance brokers and other benefit service providers
• Advise employees on their benefits options and other benefits-related questions
• Assist employees with FMLA and ADA requests
Support Employee Performance Management and Relations (30%)
• Support managers in job description development and on performance feedback and documentation
• Balance the interests of the employer and employee
• Ensure proper implementation of performance tools; Prepare and maintain employee manuals
• Send out company-wide announcements in accordance with ETM-LA policy
• Support the counsel of managers on employee relations
• Conduct employee surveys as directed by Director of Operations & Finance or Executive Director
• Contribute to long-term strategic planning for the HR function
• Help orient and counsel managers on HR policy and procedures
Maintain Employment Law Compliance (5%)
• Perform ongoing review of and update policies and procedures for legal compliance, and alert management to any known compliance risks stemming from new activities
• Coordinate legal support with pro bono lawyers on HR related matters and document reviews
• Bachelor's Degree.
• 4+ years related work experience in human resources management, legal compliance, and support.
• Highly detail-oriented with excellent organizational, project management, and time management skills.
• Excellent general written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to produce clear, well-organized documents.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel; ability to learn new software.
• Ability to quickly identify and assess potential legal compliance and ethical practice issues related to HR policies and practices.
• Ability to effectively counsel supervisors and other staff on HR related questions or issues.
• Crisis management skills.
• Technical writing skills.
• Policy writing skills.
• Human resources or personnel management coursework or other training.
• Change management coursework or other training.
• Performance management coursework or other training.
• Supervisory experience.
• Nonprofit experience.
• Online HRIS.
• Google Apps, including spreadsheets and surveys.
• Online timekeeping software.
• Forms design.
• HR certifications from SHRM or HRCI.
Benefits include health insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidate must submit a 1-page cover letter (400 words maximum) and 1-page current resume, an Employment Application, and names of three professional references.
Submit Application to: Search Committee, Education Through Music-Los Angeles by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(please include in the Subject Line: ETM-LA HR Manager Position). No calls, please.