505 8th Avenue
WhyHunger is a leader in building the movement to end hunger and poverty by connecting people to nutritious, affordable food and by supporting grassroots solutions that inspire self-reliance and community empowerment.
The Development Coordinator serves a critical role on WhyHunger’s development team, providing key support and leadership for events, grant writing, and donor cultivation, management and communication. WhyHunger’s development team is collaborative, innovative and high-energy. The organization was founded in 1975, and our fundraising is an exciting balance of improving on longstanding traditions and pioneering new ways to build our tribe of supporters. WhyHunger is not a traditional anti-hunger charity—we are building a grassroots movement that addresses the complex, interconnected causes of hunger and fosters social justice in the U.S. and around the world. With our unique mission comes unique opportunities to communicate with and inspire potential donors and funders. The Development Coordinator will bring his/her ideas, perspective and skills to the table to continue building our traditional fundraising infrastructure and to generate new revenue.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the development team to plan and execute WhyHunger’s fundraising events, including our annual gala, special concerts and sporting events, gatherings for major donors and young professionals, and Hungerthon, our largest fundraising and awareness campaign.
- Oversee donor communications calendar and direct mail campaigns and collaborate with the development and communications staff to plan and draft creative content.
- Provide support in grant writing and foundation prospecting and research.
- Collaborate with programs and development teams to bring our work to life for donors through stories from the field, impactful programmatic events, and donor site visits to grassroots partners.
- Manage a clean, efficient donor database, including entering donations and generating gift reports, acknowledgements and other donor correspondence.
- Work with development team to more effectively leverage and segment donor data to target and cultivate specific donor groups.
- Collaborate with Director of Development to select and manage a suite of donor relations software that meets the needs of the organization.
- Coordinate with outside consultant to handle the annual issuance of state charity license applications and renewals.
- Manage volunteers for WhyHunger’s fundraising events and campaigns, and provide management support to development interns.
- Some administrative tasks and other duties as assigned.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong communication skills, with experience writing organizational communications and materials and ability to communicate over the phone and in person with donors.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including the ability to juggle multiple, varied projects and meet deadlines.
- A strong work ethic, a willingness to learn, and a desire to be a part of a fun, efficient team.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and passion for WhyHunger’s mission.
- The ability to think creatively, work strategically and to be flexible and good-humored.
- A passion for nonprofit fundraising and an understanding of its importance in social change work.
- A desire to take initiative and leadership on projects and events.
- Proficiency in MS Office, donor CRM platforms, and email client software.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or Associates degree plus additional work experience.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- A track record of successful event planning and execution.
- Grant writing experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience with donor relationship management software is a must.
- Graphic design, photography, or audio/visual production experience is a plus.
The WhyHunger Development Coordinator will report to WhyHunger’s Director of Development.
Full benefits per company benefits schedule.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume, cover letter, a brief writing sample, and salary requirements to email@example.com.