Details: competitive with benefits
35 West 124th Street
What Makes Harlem Village Academies Different?
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working together to build an urban school district in Harlem based on the ideals and rich tradition of progressive education.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
Constant Learning for Teachers
We give our faculty access to the most accomplished master teachers and the most sophisticated professional learning opportunities in the country. We’re learning every day, meeting frequently to discuss our instruction, reflect on our lessons and improve our pedagogy. We’re passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students.
Who We’re Looking For
Our teachers are smart, passionate educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who inspire students to love learning, and who play very well with others.
At HVA, we believe that all students can excel academically, including students with limited English proficiency. As the ELL Program Manager, you will lead the development and implementation of a best-in-class program that meets the needs of all students. You will work closely with staff, students and families of HVA to ensure that ELL students succeed academically by developing full proficiency in English. And you’ll make sure that HVA is in compliance with all relevant laws and policies.
- Lead development and implementation of best-in-class ELL program that meets all students’ needs
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent English Language Learner laws and policies
- Create individualized service plans and schedules for each ELL student
- Provide ELL services and academic enrichment to students based on service plans
- Observe and provide guidance to teachers on differentiating for ELL students
- Manage student identification and testing processes (HLS, LAB-R, NYSESLAT)
- Maintain relationships and communicate with families about student progress
- Provide professional development on ELL for teachers based on identified needs
- Minimum three years full-time ESL teaching experience, preferably in an urban setting.
- New York State teacher certification preferred, or demonstrated ability to meet the criteria for highly qualified under NCLB
- Highly proficient in a second language
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Highly thoughtful and reflective, committed to always getting smarter with colleagues, reflecting on mistakes, welcoming feedback and making continual adjustments in your practice
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
First, learn about us! Review our website and consider whether Harlem Village Academies is the place for you. If your skills and experience are a match for this role, please apply through the careers section of our website.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff.
Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please apply through the Careers section of our website: http://bit.ly/HVA-Careers.