Details: Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live.
Deadline to apply: 11.59PM Eastern Standard Time, Monday, April 30, 2018
SumOfUs is looking for an experienced non-profit leader to work side by side with our Executive Director. This is a full-time position, requiring a minimum of 32 hours per week. The position can be based anywhere that is compatible with working with colleagues in both Europe and North America, and can be filled remotely.
The Managing Director will be a critical part of our leadership team, responsible for overseeing staffing and team performance, organisational culture and learning, and, in partnership with the Executive Director, organisational strategy.
The ideal candidate has 8+ years experience supervising staff and working closely with leadership teams, ideally in a campaigning context. If you are passionate about working with people and in fast moving organisations, and are committed to our mission of corporate accountability, then this could be the perfect role for you.
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.
In an age of multinational companies that are bigger and richer than some countries, it can be easy to feel powerless. But there is a gap in their defenses. The biggest corporations in the world rely on ordinary people to keep them in business. We are their customers, their employees, and often their investors. When we act together, we can be more powerful than they are. Together, our community of millions act as a global consumer watchdog – running and winning campaigns to hold the biggest companies in the world accountable.
Here are some things you might do
Oversee staffing and team performance
- Work with senior management to develop staffing and resourcing strategies, including hiring plans and budgets, as well as team allocations
- Manage recruitment and onboarding processes across the organisation, and support new managers in learning how to hire and supervise staff
- Manage performance review and accountability systems across the organisation, with a special focus on ensuring equity and progressive values are reflected in the way we manage performance and hold staff accountable
Organisational culture and learning
- Work with our Anti-Oppression Leadership Team, our HR team, and senior leadership to nurture and help grow SumOfUs culture
- Manage professional development and learning across the organisation, including identifying and filling training needs, and building learning cycles into our day to day work
- Support the Executive Director in the development of organisational strategy, and in monitoring and evaluating progress against organisational vision
- Maintain open lines of communication throughout the organisation around strategy, direction and vision
- In close coordination with the Executive Director take on special or ad hoc organisation wide projects as needed (specific projects to be determined based on experience and skill-set of successful candidate)
- Supervise a range of senior SumOfUs staff (specific staff to be determined based on experience and skill-set of successful candidate)
- Serve on SumOfUs’s Organisational Leadership Team, which guides overall organisational strategy
The Managing Director will report to the Executive Director.
We need someone who
We have no formal education requirements – if you can do and grow with the job, that’s all that matters. This role requires some who:
- Has experience supervising staff and managing large and diverse teams, preferably in a campaigning or non-profit context
- Has demonstrated organisational strategy, HR, facilitation, or people management skills
- Is fluent in written and spoken English (our language of operation)
Big pluses include
- Formal training or demonstrated experience in HR, preferably in workplaces that are unionised or have a staff association
- Proficiency in major world languages other than English -- especially German, French or Spanish
- Has a deep understanding of the MoveOn/Avaaz/38 Degrees/GetUp/Campact model of rapid-response digital campaigning
- Experience working closely with communities affected by corporate accountability issues -- from indigenous communities to low-wage workers
- Extensive network of community organizations, non-profits and advocacy groups, and a political understanding of key world regions
- Member focused fundraising experience, or experience managing/running campaigns in a digital context
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
We offer significant benefits, including five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and flexible hours. We cover private health insurance premium for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply
Please use the form linked on Recruiterbox to send a resume or CV in English. Instead of writing a traditional cover letter, answer these three questions in English:
- Why are you applying for this job? (Suggested word limit: 200);
- What is the most important lesson you have learned about goal setting for teams? Describe how you learned this lesson, and how you apply this lesson in your day to day work. (Suggested word limit: 300);
- What is your experience working in international and diverse teams? In your view what, if any, are the unique challenges of leading teams that are diverse? (Suggested word limit: 300);
- List which of the “BIG PLUS” qualifications above you believe you bring to the table, with a few words of explanation if that’s useful.
If you have questions about this or other jobs, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.