Details: $450 per month
75 Maiden Lane
Barbershop Books, winner of the National Book Foundation's 2017 Innovations in Reading Prize and the premiere literacy program of Reading Holiday Project, Inc., has an exciting paid opportunity for an individual who desires real-world experience in the nonprofit sector. We're seeking a grant writer with a passion for grant writing.
Did you know, according to the US Dept of Education, more than 85% of black male 4th graders aren’t proficient in reading? That’s where Barbershop Books comes in. We create child-friendly reading spaces in barbershops and train barbers to support early literacy in barbershops across the United States. Our mission is to help young black boys identify as readers by connecting books and reading to a male-centered space and by involving men in boys’ early reading experiences.
Barbershop Books has been featured on NPR, CNN, Black Enterprise Magazine, The Today Show, and CBS. The grant writer will work directly with the Chief Operations Officer and Executive Director of Reading Holiday Project, Inc. and collaborate with other Barbershop Books team members.
Compensation: $450 stipend per month
Responsibilities: 10-15 hours per week (set your own schedule and work remotely).
- Enter relevant data into Salesforce
- Organize and analyze donor and fundraising data
- Write letter of inquiry (LOI) drafts for foundations and corporations
- Assist with identification and completion of grant applications
The ideal candidate will have at least a bachelor’s degree in communications/nonprofit management with relevant nonprofit fundraising and development experience. A demonstrated interest in education is a big plus. (Masters Preferred)
- Passionate about fundraising, grant writing, and donor cultivation
- Excellent verbal skills, written communication, and computer skills
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks and working independently
- Detail oriented
- Grant writing experience
- Thrive in fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Team player
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter, and 2 references to Alvin Irby, email@example.com