332 East 149th Street
Mercy Center’s Part-Time Immigration Specialist will work in our Immigrant Services department in our South Bronx Office. The primary focus of this position will be to work with low-income New Yorkers seeking to apply for Naturalization, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Renewals, and Renewals of Permanent Resident Cards. The Part-Time Immigration Specialist will also screen immigrants seeking other immigration assistance and will provide appropriate referrals as needed. He or she must be bilingual in Spanish and English.
This is a temporary part-time position. The Immigration Specialist will work approximately 20 hours/week for 6 months, starting in December 2018. Scheduling is flexible and can include nights and/or Saturdays.
- Screens participants for eligibility for various immigration benefits including but not limited to Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card renewals, and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals renewals; provides referrals as needed
- Assists participants in the completion of immigration applications including but not limited to : N400, N600, I90, I765, I765WS, I821D, and I912
- Follows up on pending and filed applications as needed
- Records information into various databases
- Assists in managing participant phone calls
- Coordinates with other program staff to ensure timely review of applications by supervising attorneys
- Completes agency and funder reports in collaboration with other program staff as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency in the Spanish and English languages, both written and spoken
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Efficient written and oral communication skills
- Must work well under pressure, be a fast learner, a people person, and a team player
- Must have computer experience in Office programs (Word, Excel etc).
- Experience working with applicants for immigration benefits required
Mercy Center is a comprehensive community center that has been serving low-income residents of the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx, NY for 28 years. Through our varied programs, we strive to holistically address the needs of individuals and families, developing skills for healthy family living and economic advancement while building a community of respect, hospitality and non-violence.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter no later than November 9, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE