The Associate Director of Professional Development is an essential role which will allow Rocketship Public Schools to more deeply invest in our professional development programming of multiple different school and NeST based staff members. The Associate Director of Professional Development will play a critical role in designing professional development experiences in alignment with Rocketship’s core competencies, including but not limited to curriculum, teaching, leading, managing and DEI. This individual will provide vision, tools, resources, training and support to school leaders across all regions.
This role will report to the Sr. Director of Professional Development and will manage the Manager of Professional Development.
- The Associate Director of Professional Development Programming’s primary responsibilities include:
- Develop a vision and scope and sequence, in concert with Rocketship’s content teams, including but not limited to, STEM, Humanities, ISE and MTSS, content specific professional development
- Develop and lead School Leader professional development focused on both technical and adaptive leadership skills, in partnership with Directors of Schools and Rocketship’s content teams.
- Develop and lead teacher instructional professional development, focused on both technical and pedagogical understanding, in partnership with Directors of Schools and Rocketship’s content teams.
- Create 360 degree adult-facing learning structures, including follow up implementation support, coaching and feedback.
- When needed, support Directors of Schools and School Leaders with implementation and learnings from previously led professional development sessions.
- Partner with key stakeholders to continue to further refine and align professional development scope-and-sequence map with teacher and leader coaching and evaluation tools
- Engage all necessary strategy and thought partners in the design and coordination phases
- Manage the Manager of Professional Development.
- School Leader Professional Development
- Partner with Manager of Professional Development to further develop school leader professional development, with a specific attention to content from multiple strands and teams (i.e. management, leadership, and instructional leadership, family and community engagement, etc.)
- Partner with Manager of Professional Development, Schools and Talent team to create cohort-based instructional professional development programming, including but not limited to Principal Development, Rising Principal Development, Aspiring Principal Development, Rising Leader Development and Teacher Development.
- Manage the design, development and programmatic support of APs.
- Partner with Manager of Professional Development and Talent team to co-create, refine and lead professional development focused on management and adult leadership
- Partner with other teams as needed to co-create, refine and lead professional development.
- Where appropriate include NeST Managers and above in professional development sessions, both for their own development as well as to elevate network connectivity and relationships.
- Professional Development on Instructional Content
- Ensure all adult-facing learning structures are philosophically aligned, and support school leaders and teachers in ways that are in line with Rocketship’s vision for professional development
- Co-create and lead summer professional development, including but not limited to School Leader Launch and Summer Teacher Professional Development.
- Differentiate session materials and facilitation based on region-specific needs.
- Co-create and lead ongoing professional development, including but not limited to Network Professional Development, Skills Labs and Data Days.
- Codify instructional priorities and create a library of instructional materials and exemplars.
- Partner with the Manager of Professional Development to coordinate project management of all professional development.
- Partner with the Manager of Professional Development to further develop and refine year long scope-and-sequence maps for instructional and technical skill development.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Strategic planning: Ability to create strong strategic plans to align and drive all aspects of the vision of professional development structures for teachers and school leaders in partnership with Schools, Achievement, and Talent teams
- Content: Experience designing strong instructional, pedagogical and technical skill professional development
- Adult learning design: Experience designing strong and innovative professional development and adult learning opportunities at scale
- Collaboration: Exceptionally strong collaboration skills; able to listen, learn, and understand content across teams within the organization and integrate diverse perspectives into the work
- Influence: Ability to engage and invest diverse stakeholders across multiple teams without direct authority
- Facilitation: Ability to facilitate group and one on one programming that engages and inspires participants
- Communication: Excellent oral and written communication
- Data driven decision making: Ability to determine the effectiveness of all adult-facing programs and provide additional support via observation, coaching and feedback
- Operational effectiveness: Prioritizes time and actions in alignment with organizational needs
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to ask the right questions to set direction
- Learning orientation: Driven to improve performance in order to meet high internal standards of excellence; actively seeks feedback
- Initiative: Ready to act and seize opportunities; drives personal growth and takes ownership over work
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and support for, Rocketship’s mission, vision, and educational model
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 4+ years of teaching experience preferred
- 2+ years experience as a School Leader and/or Instructional Coach
- 2+ years experience designing and delivering professional development
- Prior professional experience collaborating with school leaders preferred
- An understanding of Rocketship’s instructional model strongly preferred
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code