44-36 Vernon Boulevard
New York Cares
New York Cares - New York City's leading volunteer organization - provides a lifeline of support to our city's most vulnerable residents by developing volunteer programs that respond to pressing community needs. Last year, New York Cares engaged tens of thousands of individual volunteers and hundreds of companies in service to 400,000 at-risk New Yorkers.
October 20th will mark the 27th Annual New York Cares Day for Schools. New York Cares is seeking a seasonal employee to manage the supply distribution from the Department of Education warehouse located in Long Island City, Queens. The Warehouse Manager will oversee a Warehouse Associate, and will work in partnership with the Public Spaces & Events Officer to receive supply orders, pull supplies, and deliver them to the loading dock for pick-up. The position requires strong organizational, problem solving, and customer service skills as well as the ability to self-motivate.
Support the Service Events team through the supply distribution phase for New York Cares Day for Schools (September 5th – October 26th, Monday-Friday (8 am to 4 pm)).
- Manage the Warehouse Associate who will pull and box supply orders, and prepare materials for distribution to partnering schools
- Collaborate with Public Spaces & Events Officer to facilitate supply drop-offs
- Provide helpful, efficient customer service to all school representatives
- Answer phone and respond to questions/requests as needed
- Organize/re-inventory items as needed, communicate low inventory to office staff, manage the organization of supplies into site-specific orders.
We seek a motivated team player who will take ownership of the warehouse space and supplies, and coordinate their distribution with enthusiasm and a commitment to exceptional performance. Successful candidates will have:
- Ability to identify problems or issues and solve them
- Ability to work both independently as well as on a team
- Organizational skills; including basic computer and phone skills
- Strong communications skills
- Previous Warehouse experience a plus, but not necessary.
- AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Physical Demands and Abilities
- Regularly lift and/or move objects 10-50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, and kneel
New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minimum Education Required