Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is seeking passionate and hardworking Social Worker to join the YSCS family for the 2019-20 school year! The Social Worker promotes and enhances our school's overall academic mission by providing services that strengthen home/school/community partnerships and alleviate barriers to learning. The Social Worker significantly contributes to the development of a healthy, safe, and caring environment by advancing the understanding of the emotional and social development of children and the influences of family, community, and cultural differences on student successes and by implementing effective intervention strategies. This role sits on our Student Supports team and would report directly to our Assistant Principal of Student Supports.
About Young Scholars Charter School
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based, open-enrollment charter school serving students from across Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of Young Scholars is to provide a personalized middle school education that challenges, engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their dreams and lead a life of active citizenship.
Staff Core Values
- Pride – We are passionate about our work to provide students in Philadelphia with a rigorous and comprehensive educational experience.
- Responsibility – We embrace accountability at all times and at all levels.
- Imagination – We take the time to find joy in our work every day, to learn from our students and colleagues, and embrace the idea that anything is possible.
- Determination – We commit to continuously learning and improving as educators and incorporate feedback quickly into our practice to give each child the skills necessary to access limitless opportunity.
- Empathy – We work hard, recognize individual and collective achievements, have a voice and are equipped with the tools required to be successful in our roles and lead our students and school to new heights.
- Use a variety of techniques or methods to gather information to determine students’ need of services and evaluate program needs;
- Assesses and evaluates behavior problems resulting in school violations and helps in different assessments regarding causal relationships;
- Participate in weekly student support meetings with school staff;
- Provide support services for 30-40 students (individual and group) that meet their academic, social and emotional needs, including:
- Setting goals for each student
- Monitoring progress of goals every quarter and writing progress updates
- Meeting regularly with students
- Liaising with students, school staff, family and community agencies.
Qualifications and Skills
- An understanding of the community’s health and mental health resources;
- Professionalism, sensitivity and responsibility to students and the school’s mission;
- A strong desire to serve students in an urban community;
- Ability to build strong relationships and work with individuals at all levels of the organization;
- Good judgment, strong initiative, and a quick learner;
- Ability to thrive in an urban school environment;
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- A master’s degree in social work and appropriate licenses;
- At least 2 years’ experience as a Social Worker or a School Counselor, preferably in an urban middle school setting.
- Competitive salary and benefits package;
- 2-3 hours of prep periods a day;
- Professional collaboration with grade and content teams;
- Weekly coaching and ongoing professional development;
- 1:1 Chromebooks in every classroom;
- Google Education platform for online assignment management;
- The opportunity to maximize your impact in schools where we are raising the bar for student achievement.