This position is part-time-- approximately 25-26 hours/week, which includes a Monday staff meeting and three 8 hour shifts/week. (Expected shift times are Mon, Tues & Weds 7am-3pm, without much/any flexibility in timing.)
Hagar's House Part-time Capacity Building Coordinator
Hagar's House Capacity Building Coordinator will be responsible for supporting residents at a 24/7 home for women and children. (www.HagarsHouseNOLA.org) She/he/they will work three 8 hours shifts per week, attend a weekly staff meeting, and coordinate the Capacity Building Program at Hagar’s House which includes: helping with general shift duties (including house upkeep & community building), helping coordinate and schedule intake and orientations for new house residents, meeting weekly with every adult resident at the house (usually 7-10 hours/week of individual meetings), keeping neat notes and files, following up and supporting every resident in goal setting and in moving towards permanent sustainable housing, supporting volunteers and delegating certain resource coordination needs to volunteers, reporting to all staff on how to support residents’ goals throughout the week, keeping a system to keep in touch with former residents, helping keep former residents connected to the life and work of Hagar’s House, ensuring that exit forms and interviews are complete, maintaining files, updating shared calendars when someone moves in or out or has a birthday or significant event, coordinating a monthly meeting with the program director, executive director and an experienced volunteer social work advisor, updating and maintaining holistic resources in the house, assist with coordinating relationships with local partners, and highlighting resources of relevance for all staff and residents.
- A social work degree OR significant life/work experience in a related field.
- Experience advancing Hagar’s House community values of social justice, including but not limited to racial justice, immigration justice, transgender & LGBTQ rights, language access, and environmental justice.
- Commitment to working with a team of current staff members who are diverse in race, gender, sexuality, ability, and experience.
- Ability to implement community living guidelines and support day-to-day details while also thinking big picture and keeping the needs of a whole community in mind.
- Ability to organize one's own schedule and tasks to help make sure all social work responsibilities are met, while working in an environment with lots of activity.
- Competence in communicating and JOYFULLY interacting with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds in a professional and compassionate manner, including interacting with individuals experiencing substantial levels of emotional, physical, or other hardship.
- Ability to use Microsoft programs, email, google docs, and basic database software.
- Ability to communicate orally in Spanish (and English)
- Experience living or working in an intentional or residential community
- Experience and patience with consensus and group decision-making processes
- Experience working with children
- A current driver’s license
- Familiarity with and love for New Orleans and the work of First Grace Community Alliance and Hagar’s House specifically
This position is part-time-- approximately 25-26 hours/week, which includes a Monday morning staff meeting and three 8 hour shifts/week. (Shift times are Mon, Tues & Weds 7am-3pm, without flexibility in schedule.)
Level of Language Proficiency
- Strong communication skills in English required (written & verbal)
- Ability to communicate orally in Spanish preferred, though not required. (If you have any Spanish language ability, please let us know in your email or resume.)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The application deadline is November 26, 2018 for priority. (However, we may make a decision on a rolling basis.)
Email HagarsHouse@gmail.com with Subject Line: Capacity Building Coordinator 2018. Include all 3 of the below:
- Statement of Interest (1-2 paragraphs explaining why you would enjoy this role, what experience you would bring to this role or why you would make Hagar’s House a better place, and anything else you think we should know but is not in your resume)
- 3 References (name, number, email and relationship), including your most recent employer and/or at least two professional references who can speak to your social work background