Title: Strategic Communications Director
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Executive Vice President
About the Organization
Over the years, Upwardly Global has supported thousands of foreign-born skilled job seekers in transitioning from poverty or exclusion to quality, thriving-wage careers through its customized program and holistic approach to integrating skilled immigrants into the US job market. Upwardly Global is a data-driven, innovative organization with a bold vision and a fearless spirit operating out of four major US markets and providing remote services to several parts of the country. It is unwavering in its commitment to a diverse and inclusive culture where every voice matters.
The Director of Strategic Communications is a new role for Upwardly Global and an exciting opportunity to build the organization’s profile and shift the narrative around immigrants working in the United States today. The Director will develop, execute, and oversee an organization-wide, integrated communications strategy to strategically position the brand to maximize visibility among philanthropists, fellow organizations and thought leaders and to advance the organization’s policy and advocacy priorities. They will work closely with the Executive Vice President (EVP) and CEO to create high-impact engagement strategies elevating the CEO’s profile and featuring the organization’s clients, partnerships and innovative approaches to workforce development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop an integrated thought leadership strategy and multi-channel communications plan including key messaging, speaking engagements for CEO, opinion pieces, earned media, social media and digital storytelling content.
- Write for the organization – articles, emails, newsletters etc – and help develop a coherent and powerful voice.
- Work across the organization to lead a cross-functional communications committee and coach
- spokespeople in leadership, programs and development; supervise a Communications Associate.
- Oversee website, branding, and messaging across all channels and outputs to ensure alignment with organization’s vision and priorities.
- Track emerging issues in migration and workforce development to identify opportunities for engagement and thought leadership.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key reporters across reporting beats e.g. immigration, business, technology, leadership.
- Partner with Development and other internal stakeholders to develop and execute integrated marketing campaigns that drive revenue growth e.g. direct mail, events, and social media campaigns.
- Develop partnerships with think tanks and researchers to craft and disseminate policy and research briefs that advance Upglo’s mission, community and thought leadership.
- Represent the organization in key coalitions, advocacy and business forums.
- Partner with senior leadership to develop a recruitment and engagement strategy for community of supporters and champions committed to Upwardly Global’s mission and lead the Communications Committee.
Knowledge and Skills (Essential)
- At least 10 years of experience in strategic communications, public relations, or journalism in a nonprofit, PR agency, or government.
- BA in communications, journalism, international affairs, or related field; Master’s degree a plus.
- Proven track record of developing communications plans that drive policy change, elevate organizational profiles, and raise funds.
- Experience in immigration, refugee rights, women’s economic empowerment and/or workforce development issues strongly preferred.
- Experience in project management, including managing multiple complex projects simultaneously, budgets, and cross-departmental teams.
- Coalition experience, working with partners across sectors and movements to achieve common goals
- Existing relationships with a network of reporters; experience pitching stories, writing op-eds, blog posts and other content.
- An entrepreneurial, creative thinker who welcomes ideation, collaboration, and is comfortable with change management.
- Proficiency in Spanish, a plus.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally as needed; staffing the CEO as needed.
- Must be available to work evening events and occasional weekends.