Sports Based Youth Development Varsity Coach Full Time (Brooklyn and Bronx Locations)
- Job posted by Urban Dove TEAM Charter School
600 Lafayette Avenue
POSITION: Sports-Based Youth Development Coach
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Urban Dove Team Charter School (UD Team) is a completely unique and innovative network of alternative sports-based high schools for over-aged, under-credited youth. Our schools combine a rigorous academic curriculum with a hands-on, real-world vocational program, and an award-winning college and career readiness program that strives to give each graduate a high school diploma, a foundation for higher education, and the job skills needed to enter the world of work.
Energize. UD Team schools energize at-risk students through a sports, health and fitness program that focuses on developing teamwork, healthy competition, and self-confidence for academic and life success.
Educate. UD Team schools educate over-aged, under-credited students through a 3-year mastery-based, personalized instructional program that leads to a high school diploma, a foundation for higher education, and the job skills needed to enter the world of work.
Empower. UD Team schools empower disconnected youth through individualized academic support, internships, and counseling so that they are prepared to be active, healthy, informed world citizens.
Some highlights of our program include:
- Students are members of small, single-gender teams that practice together, play together, go to class together, and receive support services together
- Students spend significant portions of each day playing and participating in a sports, health and fitness curriculum
- Each team of students is accompanied and mentored by a Coach
- Staff are supported, mentored, and heard through a governance structure that values all constituents
- UD Team uses restorative practices in response to behavior infractions and focuses heavily on youth development and the social emotional education of our students
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The UD Team SBYD Coach will use his/her passion and expertise in sports, health and fitness to change young lives. As a member of UD Team, Coaches will use the power of sports and physical activity to engage, educate, and energize at-risk youth in Brooklyn. Using an SBYD framework, where life skills are taught in conjunction with sports skills, Coaches will use sports to help struggling students to re-engage in the academic community. Coaches will lead multiple sessions each day with their team during which they will teach athletic skill development, coach their teams in both inter- and intra- school competitions, all while ensuring that UD Team’s Core Values of Teamwork, Leadership, Communication are in the forefront of each session.
- Plan and execute SBYD curriculum, including conducting team practices, coaching competitive games both at and away from school after school and on weekends, facilitating cardio/weight room sessions, and other SBYD activities as needed
- Co-plan and execute HiRisers curriculum and on-site student supervision
- Plan and facilitate engaging Health curriculum
- Plan and facilitate weekly team circles
- Monitor daily team transitions including homeroom, the first and last five minutes of class, lunch, and dismissal
- Track and monitor data on student attendance, lateness, behavior, and academic performance
- Update schoolwide athletic eligibility document on a regular basis
- Log accurate attendance in Jupiter Student Information System and on ATS bubble sheet
- Promote and track team earnings in schoolwide positive behavior plan (UD Cup)
- Collect student electronics and monitor referrals for infractions on a daily basis
- Monitor and implement interventions for low level behavioral issues
- Conduct monthly in-depth one on one check-ins with each student, accurately maintaining and filing all meeting notes
- Conduct aggressive student outreach including daily attendance calls, home visits, and parent meetings, ensuring that student attendance is in place and reportable
- Collaborate with teachers in weekly meetings and facilitate communication between students and teachers as needed
- Maintain open communication with parents and guardians regarding attendance, academic performance, and behavior, conducting intervention meetings as needed
- Work in partnership with deans, guidance counselors, and social workers on intervention planning (attendance, lateness, behavior, academic) using a restorative lens
- Work with parents to make sure every student has a completed consent and medical form on file to participate in sports
- Maintain sports equipment and uniforms
- Attend all department and school wide meetings and professional development
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Demonstrated ability to “multi-task” and deliver high quality work
- Commitment to the UD Team mission and core values of Teamwork, Leadership, and Communication
- Commitment to the use of restorative practices and a strength-based, youth development approach to student issues
- Ability to function well as part of a team and work independently
- Must be team-oriented, with a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, a passion for serving at-risk youth, and a sense of humor
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position with an updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “Coach-Bronx” or “Coach-Brooklyn” in the subject line.