Editorial Content Assistant
1200 New York Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting opportunity for a full-time Editorial Content Assistant in Washington, DC. Candidate will review news release submissions and journalist registration applications against set eligibility criteria, serve as the point of contact for customer service inquiries, and assist with developing and maintaining a full-service online science news hub. Working closely with members of the EurekAlert! team, the ideal candidate will provide Editorial and Communications support.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Updates the EurekAlert! website with press releases and other resources
- Evaluates access applications from reporters and freelance journalists
- Assists reporter- and public information officer-registrants via phone and e-mail
- Provides general administrative and organizational support
- Assists in the development and maintenance of new online resources and with other special projects, as assigned
- Extensive university or college-level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree in science, journalism, communications or another related field
- Two to three years’ experience: professional experience in proofreading and editing print and online documents; administrative and editorial/publishing; and/or customer service experience
- Intermediate to native-speaker proficiency in a second language a plus
- Strong customer service skills and demonstrated ability to handle tight deadlines and conflicts an asset
- Technology skills in contemporary software and web applications, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and MailChimp
- Familiarity with social media platforms and best practices
- Excellent writing and editing skills; understanding of journalistic and editorial issues and procedures
- Knowledge of HTML is required
- Knowledge of web analytics a plus
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and work samples or a link to portfolio by May 7, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Minimum Education Required