104 West 27th Street, 12th Floor
About Trickle Up:
Trickle Up was founded in 1979 on the belief that people have the power to transform their lives. We help the poorest and most vulnerable people graduate out of extreme poverty by helping them start sustainable businesses and join savings groups of their peers, where they save money and access credit. Women learn new skills, build self-confidence and resilience, and earn more reliable incomes. Their families eat more and better foods, and they are better able to send their children to school. Women become decision-makers at home, support one another, advocate for their families and communities, and lead more hopeful lives.
Trickle Up works in partnership with local organizations and global institutions focusing on how to grow our impact. We partner with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Tata Communications, MetLife Foundation, state governments of India, the national governments of Paraguay and Nicaragua, and local partners. We are a data-driven organization, and we measure and analyze our impact to adapt and improve our programs.
Trickle Up is headquartered in New York City, with regional offices in India, Guatemala and Burkina Faso. Visit www.trickleup.org for more information.
We are seeking a motivated and organized professional with excellent analytical skills to join our four-person Finance and Operations team. The Accountant will support the Controller and the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis in the management of the day-to-day financial operations and assist with the oversight of various awards, including but not limited to preparing reports and ensuring Trickle Up’s adherence to donor grant conditions.
Financial Management and Audit Support
- Manage all aspects of day-to-day bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to: A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries, and bank reconciliation in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare Journal Entries for prepaid expenses, deferred revenue, and payroll cash accounts.
- Process and pay all invoices and wire transfer requests in a timely manner.
- Receive and deposit all organizational revenue.
- Monthly review and analysis of regional office financial transactions to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with the assigned grant and annual Trickle Up budget.
- Monthly reconciliation of HQ credit card transactions.
- Record keeping of all accounting and financial documents.
- Process invoices and enter transactions into MIP Fund Accounting.
- Support Controller in creating report templates using Drillpoint.
- Provide guidance to Finance Officers in the regional offices on accounting matters.
- Support staff in understanding and resolving general accounting issues.
- Prepare and maintain internal documents to support donor financial reports.
- Review all project financial documentation for compliance.
- Maintain accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems.
- Perform non-routine tasks requiring strong judgment and initiative. Maintain files and other clerical duties.
- Support annual audits and data collection with accurate documentation.
- Develop a thorough understanding of grant terms.
- Ensure expenditures are within budget limitations and expended according to award specifications, track and reconcile expenditures, prepare financial reports, oversee cash flow.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years work experience in a bookkeeping/accounting function.
- Experience working in nonprofit multi-fund accounting, including experience tracking and reporting financial data for multiple grant funders, preferably with federal grants.
- Experience going through a financial audit.
Knowledge and skills
- Strong knowledge of nonprofit GAAP.
- Experience in accounting software (MIP highly preferred), advanced proficiency in MS Office applications, especially MS Excel, including all normal accounting transactions, GL management, budgeting, and reporting.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- High-level of attention to detail, accuracy, and strong communication are all critical skills for success in this role.
- Strong analytical and complex problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interpret accounting and finance issues for colleagues from non-accounting backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and able to set priorities.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a resource-limited environment.
- Fluency or professional proficiency in Spanish and/or French is preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and benefits for this full-time position. The successful applicant will join a dynamic, passionate, multicultural team deeply committed to the alleviation of extreme poverty. Trickle Up promotes a collegial, high-performing organizational culture in which staff communicate clearly and openly, and are reflective, innovative, and mutually accountable.
To be considered, please click the link provided and follow the instructions to upload your cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until October 19, 2018. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US. We are sorry we are unable to entertain phone calls related to this posting.
Trickle Up is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and extend equal opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Minimum Education Required