2301 5th Avenue, Suite 600
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington focused on expanding the quantitative evidence base for health. IHME aims to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative data to make decisions that achieve better health. IHME’s research spans multiple disciplines and policy-relevant areas including resource tracking, cost effectiveness, future health scenarios, the Global Burden of Disease, geospatial analysis, and impact evaluations. It has established international scientific credibility for developing innovative multidisciplinary methods and producing cutting-edge results. IHME accomplishes these aims by working with a wide range of collaborators across the world. Currently, IHME is engaged with over 2,700 collaborators from nearly 140 countries and territories.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a full-time Digital Comunications Specialist to join the IHME Global Engagement team. The primary purpose of this position is to help manage and enhance the company’s brand through audience acquisition strategies and content creation related to internal and external digital communications. The Digital Communications Specialist will assist with strategy, development, audience acquisition, testing, and implementation of the Institute’s presence and interaction with stakeholders across multiple digital media channels. The Digital Communications Specialist must be self-directed, results-driven, and flexible in a fluid environment. This includes staying on top of a rapidly changing digital media landscape and identifying ways to adapt IHME’s content to best connect with a range of audiences through a variety of digital communications channels.
This position provides important support for IHME’s efforts to translate rigorously derived scientific evidence into effective communications to elevate, over time, the public conversation about trends in health in such a way as to lead to better decision-making on matters that influence health outcomes. The position is also important in terms of preserving and enhancing IHME’s reputation as a leader in the field of health metrics sciences.
Audience acquisition and analytics
· Identify, experiment with, and prove out new lead acquisition channels, including affiliates. Drive traffic to IHME websites, data visualization tools, social media, apps, etc.
· Create strategies to engage those leads and convert them to regular users of IHME tools.
· Drive learning and optimization of funnel through experimentation, creative iteration, and A/B testing.
· Pull data, analyze, and communicate results. Pivot or shift approaches when necessary in response to what you learn.
· Exchange ideas/data/feedback with other departments (research, network engagement, technology, management) in order to present results and make the product more user-centric.
· Once acquisition channels are proven, work with developers to optimize, scale, and automate.
· Work toward becoming the product owner for acquisition programs end-to-end, including integrating with third-party APIs.
· Increase the Institute’s impact and presence among stakeholders to achieve Institute-wide communications objectives through channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, SlideShare, Issuu, blogs, RSS feeds, etc.
· Regularly review the landscape of social media coverage on a range of health and global development topics and identify ways for IHME’s work to be woven into the global dialogue.
· Conduct regular user interface (UI) studies to ensure that IHME is reaching its primary audience through the internet.
Digital communications content creation and publishing
· Publish content to IHME’s website using the content management system Drupal, other IHME-linked websites, and the IHME Intranet; assist with the development of new features
· Regularly update the digital communication tracking and monitoring system, using a variety of tools to capture web analytics and social outreach campaigns.
· Assist the Marketing & Communications team with webcasting of meetings and the regular recording of internal trainings through Livestream and the use of video and audio equipment.
· Become knowledgeable about referral marketing and being able to create viral growth.
· Maintain a list of published content on the IHME website and intranet, including a system for regularly checking content that needs frequent updating, including the IHME team page, faculty bios, project pages, and home page features.
· Ensure that content updates on the websites and digital media platforms occur daily through an efficient, streamlined process to ensure timely posting and removal of content; select graphic and interactive elements across the platforms that appropriately support IHME’s research.
· Oversee the production of and contribute to development of Acting on Data posts and other content on online platforms.
· Generate digital storytelling opportunities through video, photography, and motion graphics to help bring campaign concepts to life through engaging content.
· Understand key concepts, goals, and conclusions of IHME’s portfolio of work.
· Become articulate about results, key messages, and future implications.
· Be able to communicate effectively with external audiences and stakeholders with accurate knowledge and understanding of IHME’s strategic mandates and details on specific scientific papers or other published reports.
· Work closely with other organizations’ communications staff to capitalize on all opportunities to ensure that IHME’s message is consistently communicated.
· Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position as a member of the Global Engagement Team.
Bachelor's degree Computer Science, Engineering, Business, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field or equivalent experience.
· Minimum of one year of experience in digital content creation and strong background in usability principles.
· Knowledge of IHME’s work, including, but not limited to key audiences IHME is seeking to influence and IHME’s role in the global health community.
· Experience with growth hacking.
· Proven analytical and quantitative skills.
· Experience using data and metrics to test theories, confirm assumptions, and measure success.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, professionally, and diplomatically – both orally and in writing – with internal and external stakeholders.
· Creativity and technical inclination with a bias for scaling programs through algorithmic and automated solutions.
· Experience managing and driving multiple sophisticated projects and competing priorities simultaneously.
· Proven ability to identify, analyze, and solve ambiguous problems with an extreme attention to detail.
· Strong project management skills, including demonstrated ability to think independently, be flexible, and juggle multiple priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Strong strategic and creative thinking.
· Must be extremely detail-oriented and organized.
· Must be a problem-solver, self-motivated, and require minimal supervision.
· Professional maturity, with an ability to work both independently and collaboratively to achieve objectives.
· Ability to work effectively in a team-based structure with excellent interpersonal skills that foster productive relationships with colleagues and third-party service providers.
· Experience with the content management system Drupal
· Experience in metrics and analytics for websites, digital media, and traditional media
· Personal motivation to support the Institute’s mission and goals
· Interest in figuring out how things work, then relentlessly testing and optimizing to drive desired outcomes
· Strong creative and strategic thinking
· Flexible, energetic, and positive attitude, inspiring others to work toward achieving goals
· Photography and filming experience
· Strong computer skills in PowerPoint, Photoshop, and Adobe Creative Suite
Conditions of employment:
· Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
· Weekend and evening work sometimes required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through UW Jobs: