Details: Competitive non-profit salary, commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
Job Title: Advocacy Writer
Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental organization, seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented professional to strengthen and amplify the voice of Waterkeeper Alliance and the Waterkeeper movement through hard-hitting advocacy communications.
Location: New York, NY with some travel required.
Organizational Overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global environmental movement uniting more than 300 Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world and focusing citizen action on the issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates patrol more than 2.5 million square miles of rivers, streams, and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa. For more information, please visit our website at www.waterkeeper.org and/or read The Riverkeepers by John Cronin and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
The Advocacy Writer is a dynamic, goal-oriented professional within the Communications and Marketing Department that works to strengthen and amplify the voice of Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world through communications, advocacy, and fundraising. The Advocacy Writer reports directly to the Communications and Marketing Director.
The Advocacy Writer is responsible for researching, developing, and publishing stories on the global water crisis, with a significant focus on combating adverse water quality impacts caused by the proliferation of concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) in North Carolina. Working with local Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates, lawyers, and advocacy and communications colleagues, the Advocacy Writer will also generate stories on topics such as environmental justice, political attacks on clean water, and more.
The Advocacy Writer will produce a wide variety of print and online products, including content for the Alliance’s websites, magazine, emails, and social media channels, and will help to develop and edit talking points, speeches, blog posts, and other communications materials.
- Conceptualize, write, and edit articles, op-eds, video scripts, and appeals relating to Waterkeeper Alliance’s advocacy work;
- Focus on Waterkeeper Alliance’s North Carolina Pure Farms, Pure Waters campaign, with a majority of duties and deliverables designed to support our work to stop pollution caused by the concentration, lax regulation, and destructive waste-disposal practices of industrialized livestock operations;
- Keep abreast of new developments and potential stories by maintaining close relationships with advocacy and program staff;
- Story research and fact checking;
- Coordinate with the Communications and Marketing team and Advocacy staff to support strategic
- Conduct independent research to support and strengthen written content;
- Assist in production of Waterkeeper Alliance’s biannual Waterkeeper Magazine and its annual
- Participate in the planning of advocacy campaigns and goals;
- Execute a work plan with performance metrics; and
- Engage in other duties assigned by the Communications and Marketing Director.
- Minimum Qualifications
- At least 3-years of professional writing experience, preferably across a variety of storytelling disciplines, such as journalism, marketing, and fundraising;
- A Bachelor's degree, or equivalent; major in English, communications or journalism preferred;
- Ability to generate story ideas and develop narrative arcs across media that are both on brand and resonate with Waterkeeper Alliance members and supporters;
- Expertise in short- and long-form storytelling;
- Grasp of The New York Times Style Guide;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and efficiently to complete tasks;
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure, and maintain quality of detailed work while
- meeting deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to organize information into clear, concise, and engaging stories;
- Superb multitasking skills, including an ability to work on multiple stories at a time;
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness
- and attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability for occasional travel and weekend work;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, three (3) writing samples, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Advocacy Writer.” No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.
Minimum Education Required