2400 Moorpark, Suite 300
Position: Family Advocate
Department: Asian Women’s Home
Reports to: Asian Women’s Home Program Manager
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue and Story Road, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
The Family Advocate provides culturally competent support to shelter residents and non-residential survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking. All services are survivor-defined and trauma-informed. This person also assists with volunteers, community outreach, and general administration. This position reports to the Shelter Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer the 24 hour crisis hotline, providing crisis counseling, safety planning, information and referrals, and intake for shelter as needed.
- Provide emergency on-call response as needed during off-hours.
- Follow up with survivors as needed to inform them of services available to them.
- Provide peer counseling, support groups, and other activities that increase survivor safety and help them meet their goals.
- Provide survivors with legal and social services advocacy, translation and interpretation, transportation, job and housing search support, and other supportive services as may be required by the client’s case management plan.
- Provide survivors and their children with transportation, as needed, in private vehicles.
- Review case files regularly to assess client progress and ensure accurate record keeping of services provided.
- Support the shelter residents with activities of daily living, including crisis intervention and practical support.
- Ensure that the shelter facility is kept clean and presentable.
- Assist with house meetings and other residential activities as needed.
- Ensure that the continuous confidentiality of the shelter location and residents is maintained at all times.
- Act on behalf of survivors to increase survivor safety and decrease further victimization by systems.
- Communicate with Shelter Manager and Senior Program Manager regarding system advocacy needs.
- Supervise volunteers. Assist with their orientation and monitor assignments.
Community Outreach and Education:
- Assist with community outreach regarding domestic violence and human trafficking, especially in communities of the advocate’s language fluency. This may include support of presentations, outreach events, media interviews, and/or the development of multilingual collateral.
- Attend collaborative meetings and community events as a representative of the program and agency.
- Attend program and agency meetings and actively participate in internal projects as needed. Ensure work is coordinated with program and agency colleagues.
- Collect data and provide necessary reports to the program and agency.
- May assist with storing and transporting donations and shelter supplies.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
- BA/BS in social work, behavioral sciences, other related fields or equivalent experience.
- One year of professional experience working with survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking, and/or trauma preferred.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to work independently and handle multiple tasks while also being a team player.
- Able to work in a flexible environment including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Committed to program’s anti-violence mission and able to adhere to confidentiality requirements around client information.
- Must complete 40 hours of state-mandated domestic violence advocacy training.
- Sensitive and able to work with diverse communities in terms of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have access to and be willing to use a private vehicle with up-to-date insurance and valid driver’s license.
- Fluent and able to provide all services in an Asian language and English.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partnership status, family care leave status, medical condition as defined under California law, mental or physical disability (including persons infected with the HIV virus or persons with AIDS), genetic information, immigration status, military service or veteran’s status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions (including lactation), or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent and able to provide all services in an Asian language and English. (Vietnamese preferred)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please use this link: