Type of Position: Part-Time, Seasonal, with schedule based on out-of-school time school year program offerings.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Timeframe: Part-time role working 18-20hrs/week (plus one weekend trip per month) late September through mid-May.
Commitment: As a multi-year youth development program serving youth from 6th – 12th grade and beyond, staff stability and commitment make a critical difference in the success of the program. We ask all applicants to consider this critical component of the job when applying.
Position Start: Late September
City Kids Wilderness Project (CKWP) is a nonprofit program founded (1996) on the belief that providing enriching life experiences for DC youth can enhance their lives, the lives of their families, and the greater community. We aim to provide extraordinary wilderness and community-based experiences that will inspire worthy young people of Washington, D.C. to dream, see beyond their current circumstances, and ultimately succeed in building a healthy, happy, and productive life. Our goals include that our youth graduate from high school or earn their GED, that they enroll in a postsecondary education program or obtain a job, and that they are involved and connected members of their community. Programs take place throughout the year in and around Washington, D.C. and during the summer at our ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Youth enroll as sixth graders and continue their engagement with City Kids through middle school, high school, and beyond.
The Afterschool Program Educator will work at least 18 hours a week from late September through mid-May with the opportunity to work at our summer camp in Jackson, WY. He/she/they will assist in the implementation of CKWP’s Afterschool program for 6th-8th graders Monday-Thursday. Afterschool Program Educators must be available during after school program hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 3:00pm to 7:30pm and Thursdays from 2pm - 7:30pm, and at least one weekend per month for day or overnight trips. Additional hours may be available based on candidate interest and organizational need.
The Afterschool Program Educator will work with the Afterschool Program Site Coordinator to develop and implement afterschool programming, developing curriculum following DC Academic and Common Core Standards, and teaching independently. This will include preparing materials and logistics for lessons and activities, as well as leading the lessons in a manner consistent with CKWP’s vision and mission.
We are seeking candidates with skill in middle school education, youth development, program development and design, and who are able to lead in the outdoors as well as in a classroom. Candidates must have a passion for the outdoors, and the ability to share and encourage that passion in CKWP youth. Candidates should have experience with several of the following activities: teaching, tutoring, group facilitation, activity/lesson planning, hiking, camping, trip leading, and other outdoor activities. The Afterschool Educator may also assist in building partnerships with schools and local organizations to recruit new students for the program. The Afterschool Educator will report to the Afterschool Site Coordinator.
- Prepare and teach CKWP lessons following DC Academic and Common Core Standards, supervise snack and recreation time, act as a key tutor during academic time.
- Assist in the creation and development of all educational materials that support on-site and trip based, hands-on learning activities.
- Drive a City Kids vehicle to pick Afterschool participants up from their respective schools.
- Assist in research, planning, and preparation of CKWP day and overnight trips. Participation in at least one weekend trip per month is a requirement of this position. Trips include day trips hiking, rock climbing, biking, kayaking and overnight frontcountry and backcountry camping trips.
- Assist in the development and implementation of other educational programs as necessary.
- Other duties as are necessary for the operation of trips and programs as assigned by the Afterschool Site Coordinator, the Program Director and/or other CKWP leadership.
- College degree from an accredited institution, or presently earning a degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Experience teaching, counseling, or mentoring youth; experience with at-risk youth preferred.
- Experience developing lesson plans.
- The ability to relate well to others and to work effectively with a variety of people.
- An understanding and commitment to the goals and philosophy of City Kids and experiential education.
- Patience, initiative, enthusiasm, proactive communication style, flexibility in variety of situations, organization and detail orientation.
- Proficient and regular use of email and common software/programs like Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic computer and web-based research tools.
- Interest in interest and knowledge in outdoor education (i.e. tree identification, fire building, orienteering).
- First Aid Certification and CPR, Wilderness First Aid or higher preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License (must have had a valid driver’s license for at least 2 years).
Candidates must successfully pass a background check, drug, test and be fingerprinted before they will be eligible to start working in the after school program this fall.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications including a cover letter and resume should be sent to the Program Director, Monique Jeffers-Dailey: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write the name of the job you are applying to in the subject line. For more information about City Kids Wilderness Project, please refer to our website at www.citykidsdc.org.