The Center for Family Life in Sunset Park has a Bilingual Spanish or Mandarin/Cantonese speaking Family Counselor position opening. The Center for Family Life is a nationally recognized provider of comprehensive family support services. We are looking for a fluent Spanish or Mandarin/Cantonese speaking individual who wants to work collaboratively with families and the primarily new immigrant Sunset Park community. This individual will gain valuable clinical skills towards LCSW licensure.
This individual will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with families to develop goals and help them achieve success.
- Using a therapeutic approach to working with families.
- Providing direct advocacy and support to families.
- Accompanying families to school meetings as well as appointments to access services in the community.
- Visiting families’ homes.
- Collaboration with CFL program staff, school staff, ACS, Public Assistance, Medicaid, Housing Authority, multiple systems and other community providers.
- Attending weekly supervision with a LCSW clinical supervisor.
- Leading parenting groups and workshops within the community.
- Managing a flexible work schedule, which includes 3 evenings per week.
- Maintaining timely case record/documentation requirements.
- Previous experience working with children and families.
- Fluent in Spanish or Chinese.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) with at least 2 years of experience working with families, Master’s Degree in Social Work (MSW) or equivalent mental health professional.
- Be a team player.
- Have a strong sensitivity to cultural differences present among staff and clients within our organization.
- Possess a strong belief in people’s ability to grow and change; forge a mutually respectful partnership with persons served and their families.
- Ability to set limits and maintain helping role of practitioner and to intervene appropriately..
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
Minimum Education Required