PURPOSE AND SCOPE: Provide direct services to local firms to assist them in accessing incentive programs and assist their interest to create and retain jobs. The position also entails developing relationships with businesses throughout Southeast Queens to provide financing assistance to help entrepreneurs and established businesses access the capital they need to meet their business goals, promote job creation and perform City contracts.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote NYC Department of Small Business Services programs and services to industrial and transportation businesses.
- Market and educate industrial and transportation companies on accessing City, State and Federal incentives that lower the cost of training, relocating, expanding, hiring and renovating.
- Respond to requests for business and industrial development assistance on an as needed basis through referrals or technical assistance.
- Advise business owners on credit and financing through seminars and individual counseling.
- Screen potential financing requests by analyzing business and personal tax returns, bank statements, personal financial statements and interim financial statements.
- Provide loan packaging assistance to businesses by analyzing financing needs, collecting appropriate documentation and submitting the full loan application to traditional financial institutions and/or alternative lenders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with alternative lenders to provide financing assistance to non-bankable businesses.
- Develop relationships with financial institutions to provide second look financing opportunities for their near/non-bankable clients.
- Maintain, update and expand a space bank of commercial and industrial properties in the area; help companies interested in relocating to or expanding in Southeast Queens find suitable space.
- Maintain and create stakeholder relationships with community development organizations and government agencies with economic development missions.
- Maintain administrative/reporting responsibility with City, State and Federal government.
- Maintain and be team lead on data management and analysis.
- Coordination between internal and external departments and partners.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred
- Minimum of two to five years of experience or combined experience and training in financing , urban planning or business management
- Understanding of economic development policies or experience with economic development programs
- Ability to work with government agencies and manage public-private relationships
- Knowledge of credit and financing instruments, especially those reflecting the goals of economic development or public/private partnerships
- Ability to communicate with small business operators
- Strong organizational skills, especially regarding loan packaging and servicing
- Good written and oral presentation skills
- Working knowledge of Excel
- Strong knowledge of CRM and relational databases
- Bilingual abilities are a plus