PO BOX 1074
The National Young Farmers Coalition (NYFC) seeks a part-time New Mexico Campaign Organizer from September 2018 to April 2019. The Organizer will support our state campaigns by planning legislative farm tours and roundtables, conducting outreach to increase NYFC member participation, and supporting advocacy trainings and an advocacy day in early 2019. The Organizer will report to our Western Program Director and be supported by our Western Campaign Director and Chapter Coordinator. The Organizer will ideally be based out of Albuquerque, New Mexico but the role will require significant travel within the state.
NYFC represents, mobilizes, and engages young farmers to ensure their success. We envision a country where young people who are willing to work, get trained and take a little risk can support themselves and their families in farming. In order to achieve this vision, we are building a coalition of farmers, ranchers, and supportive consumers of all racial, ethnic, social, and economic backgrounds. NYFC strongly encourages women, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and people of color to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support planning for legislative farm tours and/or roundtable sessions
- Conduct outreach to engage NYFC chapters and members in advocacy
- Provide outreach & membership recruitment support for existing chapters and help develop new chapters in NM
- Represent NYFC at key local events related to NYFC state initiatives
- Host state in-district meetings in around the state
- Engage with state Committees, including cultivating farmers to testify, being present for critical hearings, and building relationships at the Roundhouse
- Help organize advocacy trainings to build farmer capacity toward taking action on critical policy during the 2019 session
- Must be able to have some flexibility to attend events during the day and/or evening, and attend some events somewhat last minute. Position may require significant travel within NM
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, and comfort speaking in front of groups
- Be well-connected with the New Mexico farming community as well as state elected officials and administrators
- Be knowledgeable about sustainable agriculture, NYFC’s Young Farmer agenda, and state/federal agricultural legislation
- Be self directed and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be bold and willing to meet new people and make introductions to farmers and elected officials
- Highly organized
- Be willing and able to work on a flexible schedule
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout the state
NYFC is looking to hire this part-time position to begin approximately September 10th and conclude by April 15th. The Organizer can expect an average of 20 hrs. per week during the term of employment with hourly compensation at a rate of $20-25/hr.
There may be the opportunity to extend employment beyond the initial term.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Those interested should provide a cover letter along with resume, availability, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “New Mexico Campaign Organizer” in the email subject line.