College Residence Director – Bard College at Simon’s Rock
- Job posted by Bard College at Simon's Rock
Full Time Contract
84 Alford Road
Residence Director – Bard College at Simon’s Rock
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is the only four-year college in the United States specifically designed to allow highly motivated adolescents to fully realize their intellectual and creative potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade. For over 50 years, Simon’s Rock has occupied a unique space in the educational landscape, practicing the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before the age of 18.
The principle responsibility of the Residence Directors is to ensure that students have a safe and emotionally secure living environment which supports the educational goals of Simon’s Rock. Each staff member is expected to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the Campus Life team. Specific tasks include:
· Helping to resolve and mediate conflict between students in your residence hall
· Upholding the standards of conduct as outlined in the Student Handbook
· Utilizing Restorative Practices as a tool for building community and addressing conflict in your residence hall and across campus
· Planning and participating in an intensive first-year student orientation program which acquaints students with both the academic and residential areas of the institution
· Creating and overseeing a working House Council, advising and supporting all House Council programs and events, and overseeing the budget
· Collaborating with student staff, this includes utilizing them in meaningful ways, meeting with them regularly, evaluating their performance, helping them work more effectively, and participating in the selection of new student staff members
· Producing educational and entertaining programs
· Keeping other offices/departments, Administrators, and Residence Directors apprised, as appropriate, on particular issues, and seeing them through to resolution
· Communicating and partnering with parents to support students
· Attending weekly staff meetings to discuss common residence issues, incidents, follow-up, community concerns, policies, and information of general interest
· Managing medical and psychological emergencies in conjunction with The Wellness Center (Medical/Counseling Services)
· Promoting and sustaining a respect for the school’s property; maintaining a cooperative working relationship with Housekeeping and Physical Plant staff
· Serving on various Campus Life and campus-wide committees, such as the Council for Equity & Inclusion, Community Council, Staff Assembly, etc as needed
· Establishing and posting regular office hours each week where students and others may expect to find you in the Campus Life office
· Maintaining availability and a presence on campus, including attendance at most meals in the Dining Hall and being on Duty as assigned
Residence Directors for the College are also expected to collaborate with Residence Directors for Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock, a two-year residential high school program for 9th and 10th graders on the path to starting college early.
We seek community-minded, team-oriented individuals to help develop and foster an inclusive and welcoming campus climate which allows young students to flourish. Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and demonstrate good judgment. They should be mature, outgoing, and solution-oriented. Successful candidates should expect to be active participants in this community.
This is a full-time (10, 11, or 12-month), live-in position, with significant evening and weekend work. Compensation includes salary, on-campus apartment in the beautiful Berkshires, meal plan while school is in session, and a comprehensive employee benefit package. Master’s degree is preferred; a Bachelor’s degree is required. Candidates with previous Residential Life, Student Affairs, or Counseling experience will be given preference.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and fingerprinting. Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three references to Mickey Spaulding, Associate Dean of Campus Life, 84 Alford Road, Great Barrington, MA 01230, or firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who will contribute to our diversity. AA/EOE
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required