Summit Speech School is a small, non-profit school that teaches deaf and hard of hearing children to listen and talk.
The School services over 270 children in 62 school districts throughout NJ through its 4 programs: Parent/Infant, Preschool, Itinerant Mainstream Support and Audiology.
Summit Speech School is governed by a 12 member Board of Directors and employees 50 full and part time staff.
The Director of Development leads a development team of 3 and manages the operation of the Development Office including activities related to fund raising, public relations, and governance.
The Director of Development works closely with the Business Administrator and the Executive Director reporting to the latter. The Director is the lead staff person for the Governance & Development Committees of the Board and is thus responsible for scheduling meetings, setting agendas, taking minutes and reporting to the full board.
- Create a development plan that increases revenue to support the strategic planning of the school
- Set priorities and develop schedules
- Formulate strategies to move the school forward; write goals, monitor progress toward goals and track details, data, information and activities; create and implement an action plan, evaluate the process and expected results
- Develop new ways to improve the finances of the school and to create new opportunities
- Propose a Development Office budget
- Build a communication network between the Development Office and programmatic staff to stimulate the development of innovative programming for funding
- Design and implement community relations programs for internal and external public
- Inspire the volunteer leadership to participate in activities in support of the school
- Create and implement educational programs for trustees and donors
- Prepare monthly reports and an annual summary of all donations
- Oversee the planning and execution of special events
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and data base
- Manage the program for annual contributions to secure regular sources of revenue and grow broad base of support
- Provide for stewardship of funds contributed to the school
- Identify, research and cultivate key donors and grantors as well as individuals or groups which represent donor or grantor potential
- Initiate the next phase of an Endowment campaign
- Be responsible for the development of letters, case statements, brochures and/or marketing materials and planned giving materials
- Develop and maintain the highest levels of morale, motivation, productivity and team work within the Development Office, and insure a high level of collaboration between the Development Office and other administration and programmatic jurisdictions
Minimum Education Required