Phase A, Street 1
The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is a premier, independent and impartial research organization based in Kabul. It envisions an Afghanistan where policy decisions are made on the basis of evidence, open debate and widespread public awareness in the belief that this will better reflect the priorities of Afghans. Information about AREU is available on AREU’s website: www.areu.org.af.
The Publications Officer reports to the Communications & Advocacy Manager and is responsible for the following tasks:
The main responsibilities of the Publications Officer (in addition to editorial duties) are:
· To oversee the production of AREU publications to ensure that they are produced at high quality in a timely way;
· To coordinate with researchers, peer-reviewers, editors, translators and printers to ensure publications meet internal deadlines and are within budget;
- To edit all in-house publications (papers, blogs, transcripts and reports of events, e.g RTD and consultations), quality control of social media posts (tweets and FB posts) with the Publications & Communication Officer (PCO) for the Dari and Pashto versions), communications related to outreach and dissemination of AREU’s research findings; edit articles, editorials and blogs on AREU’s research findings for major local and international media.
· Develop communication materials for outreach activities (one-pager, brochure, flyers);
· Oversee and provide a quality-control of translation of publications together with the C&A Manager if non-Dari and Pashto speaker;
· To ensure the quality of online publications, press-releases and publication announcements
· To work with the C&A Manager and PCO in designing a clear advocacy strategy for AREU publications;
· To monitor, clarify and adjust systems from time-to-time to ensure that the publications process is effective and efficient;
· To coordinate and facilitate strategic decisions within the publications team as circumstances require – for example, about the use of printers and other external resources, software choices, and working practices;
· To liaise with the Finance and Administration Department to ensure that correct procedures are followed in procuring and paying for publications-related goods and services;
· To liaise with the PCO to ensure that accurate records are kept for all outsourced editing, translation, graphic design, web-related and printing services;
· To facilitate the publications team in helping to prioritize and balance various tasks and ensure the smooth flow of work across all areas, this can also include determining potential role of publication team members in broader communications and advocacy activities (including event planning, communications planning, monitoring and evaluation, creation of promotional materials and special projects, etc.);
· To identify capacity gaps and training requirements within the publications team, and to seek ways of addressing these gaps.
· To produce monthly, quarterly and annual reports of the C&A Department (with C&A Manager and PCO); produce the statistics generated on the C&A activities and use of publication from the website.
· To produce AREU's website contents.
- Preparation of quarterly reports for Board meetings and organizing BoD meetings.
- Preparing annual report for the organization.
- Managing organisational monthly reports by all departments.
Work with the Publications & Communications Officer on the following tasks:
- Writing periodical articles, editorials and blogs on AREU’s research findings for major local and international media.
- Editing descriptive text for the research newsletter.
- Ensure AREU’s online presence is regularly updated with interesting content that encourages active participation from a broad audience on the website, social media, and blogs.
- Masters (or Advanced) Degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or other relevant field.
· Familiarity with AREU’s publications and their production, or equivalent experience with working with the editing, translation, layout and printing of publications elsewhere;
· Ability to edit;
· Knowledge of publication layout, including Adobe InDesign software;
· Knowledge of design and design principles, especially in print media and electronic media;
· Familiarity working with printers, ideally Kabul-based printers (which have their own particularities);
· Strong communication and teamwork skills;
· Strong written English language skill is required;
· Ability to facilitate discussion and build a team in a collegial (rather than “top-down”) manner;
· Sense of humour and ability to cope with stress;
· Enthusiastic and energetic;
· Strong time management skills and ability to multi-task;
· Attention to detail and commitment to quality;
· Some familiarity with managing and working with websites is desirable;
· May be required to work beyond office hours periodically to organize or manage special initiatives or workload
- The position is based in Kabul.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and a one-page writing sample to email@example.com no later than 18 August 2018. Please write “Publications Officer” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.