Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit social enterprise that increases the impact of international development activities through innovative, sustainable information management solutions and services. Creative IT is key to DG’s comparative advantage. DG empowers people to accelerate change and transform their societies: www.developmentgateway.org.
The Location to brag about:
Development Gateway is part of the OpenGovHub, located in the heart of DC. The Hub is home to a community of organizations focused on the open government agenda. This creative space allows for collaboration and innovation within and among the different groups; it also offers networking opportunities, brown-bag lunches, happy hours, and other activities.
What do you get to do:
The Data Analyst Consultant will be part the Results Data Initiative (RDI) team, supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Over the next 18 months, the RDI team will work with government decision makers in two countries and international development agencies to increase the role of results data in their decision-making processes on policy and resource allocation. The data analyst will work closely with the RDI team to identify and develop a variety of practical data-focused solutions, with an emphasis on decision-making tools. The analyst will develop new processes, insightful analysis, and stunning visualizations. The Data Analyst will liaise between a technical team of software engineers and client-focused project managers.
Specific tasks include:
● Work as part of the Results Data Initiative team to link results information with resources information to inform partner decision makers (in countries and in development agencies);
● Work with internal and external partners on data acquisition, quality assurance, data standard crosswalks, and visualization;
● Create materials to illuminate data and associated processes for internal and external users;
● Act as a technical liaison for partner and client questions;
● Develop expertise in a variety of open data standards, including IATI (XML), Open Contracting Data Standard (JSON), EITI (CSV and PDF), and others;
● Conduct statistical analyses to learn from and scale to larger amounts of data;
● Evaluate the big picture and solve business problems, aligning metrics with overall objectives;
● Create static and interactive visualizations, highlighting key insights of complicated datasets for decision-makers.
The Education and Experience You Have and We Need
● Bachelor’s degree in math, computer science, statistics, or economics or related discipline. Master’s preferred.
● Strong understanding of data management, analysis, and quality control.
● Past experience working in the international development sector.
● Experience automating manual or suboptimal data-related business processes and analyses.
● Experience with data modeling work: R, Python, Julia.
● Basic knowledge of open data standards such as IATI, JSON, EITI, etc.
● SQL skills, NoSQL experience a plus.
● Experience with Linux/Unix – you are happy on the command line.
● Experience with scripting language (e.g. Python), regular expressions, etc.
● Experience working with data via web services and APIs.
● Geospatial experience a plus.
● French or Spanish language fluency a plus.
Gourmet chefs welcome, but more importantly:
● Service-oriented, proven ability to manage client relations. Diplomatic in difficult situations.
● Good organizational skills to manage a broad workload and meet deadlines and work under own initiative.
● Excellent analytical skills and commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
● Proven ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills.
● Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff and to maintain strong communications with a geographically dispersed team.
● Ability to work effectively both autonomously and as a team player influencing others
● Excellent (written and verbal) communication and customer interaction skills.
● Ability and willingness to take on possible international travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, inclusive your compensation rate requirements, and your current resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.