Grant Writer / Grants Manager is a critical position that will help execute the vision and growth of Race Forward, while raising the organization’s profile nationally, in pursuit of high-value partnerships with foundations. These partnerships will yield revenue and expand awareness of Race Forward across sectors, with a focus on the philanthropic sector. The position requires a strong writer, and a strategic thinker and synthesizer who is able to ignite enthusiasm and inspire people to support our cause to advance racial equity. This person will understand the Race Forward mission and strategy, and will communicate effectively—internally and externally. The Grant Writer/ Grants Manager reports directly to the Senior Director of Development and Partnerships, and will partner closely with the entire Development team, as well as the Leadership, Program, and Finance teams. This position is located in Race Forward’s New York City or Oakland office. This is not a remote position.
A competitive applicant will possess a deep commitment to and understanding of current racial justice issues. This is a unique opportunity for a talented fundraiser to help put racial equity into practice.
Grant Writing and reporting- 60%
- Independently author and prepare comprehensive funding proposals and reports for institutional awards
- Collaborate with Senior Director of Development and Partnerships to cultivate and steward institutional foundation relationships in support of Race Forward’s activities
- Collaborate with Senior Director and SVP of Development and Partnerships to raise the annual and multi-year budget, including reserves, in consultation with the Executive Team, Board, and Program Directors.
- Customize key external case statements, proposals, reports, concept papers, letters of intent, presentations, and other required proposal-related materials, in whatever format is best suited for requests
- Acknowledge institutional funders with customized approach, including letters, recognition through marketing, and/or event participation
Grants coordination – 40%
- Work closely with Program and Impact Planning and Evaluation teams to integrate objectives/outcomes into grant proposals.
- Coordinates rigorously among departments to ensure a smooth flow of information, and to facilitate a thoughtful, strategic relationship among the Development and Partnerships, Program, Finance, and leadership teams.
- Maintain institutional funding systems to track all grants submissions, reporting, and prospects
- Maintain funder files
- Ensure grant reporting and follow-up to keep grantors engaged and informed
- Confirm financial compliance with all grant requirements
- Collaborate with Finance and Program teams on grant budgets
In addition to base compensation, we offer an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurances, employer contribution to retirement plan and to flexible spending account, vacations, and a sabbatical
Minimum Education Required