Position: Grants Manager (Full-Time)
Location: Washington, DC, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, or Boston
RefuSHE protects, nurtures, educates, and empowers young refugee women and girls in East Africa through a unique holistic model that provides shelter, education, case management, counseling, child care, legal advocacy, and vocational training. RefuSHE’s holistic program meets the imminent and longer-term needs of unaccompanied, separated and orphaned refugee girls, young women, and their children.
Founded in 2008, RefuSHE is a global nonprofit with headquarters in Chicago and operations in Nairobi, Kenya. It is the first and only organization dedicated to refugee girls in East Africa. Today, RefuSHE is poised for strategic growth and scale. We are looking for someone who has a passion for social change, aspires to use their talent for good, and thrives in fast-pace growth environments.
RefuSHE is looking for a Grants Manager to lead all grants management for the organization including government, institutional foundations, corporate, and medium sized family foundations this includes but is not limited to ensuring timely, efficient, and compliant reporting, financial tracking, M&E, and program implementation. They will also be responsible for supporting the Head of Impact and Growth to develop, design, and write strong grant proposals and concept notes. S/he will report directly to the Head of Growth & Impact but collaborate across our passionate team (both in the US & Kenya) for proposal development, report writing, and grant management in order to help grow and elevate RefuSHE’s mission.
- Manage the organization’s grant portfolio, which includes financial and programmatic monitoring and compliance, reporting, and donor communication
- Manage the report writing process, including collection and organization of all materials and requirements for reports from different departments, and provide editorial reviews and content creation as needed; ensure timely submission of all requirements
- Review all grant contracts and effectively communicate agreement terms to executive leadership, finance, and program teams to ensure requirements are adhered to
- Monitor existing grants for compliance with grant agreements and monitor reporting timelines and deadlines
- Work with finance team to monitor grant budgets and ensure grant funds are not over/under spent and work closely with finance team to resolve any discrepancies
- Lead financial reporting and monitor financial spending to ensure grant compliance. Work with finance team to develop, report, and manage grant budgets.
- Regularly update and maintain organizational grant report and proposal schedule and manage all Letters of Agreement (LOAs) within document sharing platform; ensure all team members are aware of upcoming needs and deadlines
- Contribute to legal compliance review of agreements and ensure all necessary signatures are in place
- Assist with providing grant related documentation in the annual financial audit as required
- Update and maintain grant related information within Salesforce, act as organization’s lead Salesforce manager.
- Update and revise Salesforce processes to ensure it is optimized by all teams to provide the organization with consistent data and information to support business development.
- Contribute to and/or lead proposal development activities related to foundation, corporate, and government funders, including, but not limited to: preparation of data/content for proposal (with the M&E staff), development of proposal budget (with finance team), log frame development, writing sections, proof-reading and editing, proposal submission, and follow-up
- Research and write letters of inquiry to prospective funders and partners
- Support communications and business development staff to collect beneficiaries’ experiences and success stories in a sensitive manner
- Maintain record of all submissions and materials on the document sharing platform
- Bachelor’s required; Master’s degree in related field preferred
- 6-8 years of experience managing grants and/or contracts in the social change, global development, or related field
- Demonstrated extensive technical grant writing background, including a deep knowledge of and experience with government grant proposals and reporting necessary
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including a strong ability to turn data and numbers into concise and compelling narratives
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Experience using Salesforce as a grant management and donor tracking tool a plus.
- Detail, data, and deadline oriented with a demonstrated ability to ensure compliance and communication in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with international programs, reporting compliance, and understanding of budgets and non-profit finances
- Quick-learner with an advanced comfortability with technology; Salesforce and fundraising software for prospect-related research experience preferred
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively across teams and time zones to manage multiple assignments with firm deadlines
Expectations & Compensation
Travel to Kenya at least once a year may be required. All international travel is currently on hold and will be resumed at a later date once safety concerns regarding COVID have diminished.
Salary commensurate with experience; RefuSHE offers a competitive benefits package, inclusive of: flexible paid time off, medical (health, dental, vision) insurance, and 401(k).
How to Apply
If this sounds like you, please email your application to Mary Henneberry at mhenneberry(at)refuSHE.org with “Grants Manager – (Your Name)” in the subject line. You should include your resume, cover letter, and a 1-2-page writing sample.
RefuSHE is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants.