10-38 41st Avenue
JOB TITLE: Financial Fitness Counselor
<img src="https://docs.google.com/a/urbanupbound.org/drawings/d/sEXphhK4kSiJBydt7b0Rhyg/image?w=624&h=1&rev=1&ac=1&parent=1D9Q1turP3BCxTIb4vBhLy0ya-GYs8WVaivql2WMawwA" height="1" width="624">
(Various NYC Locations throughout 5 borrows)
About Urban Upbound
Founded in 2004, the mission of Urban Upbound is to break cycles of poverty in public housing neighborhoods by providing youth and adults the tools and resources needed to achieve economic mobility and self-sufficiency. Urban Upbound advances its mission through five integrated programs: employment services, financial counseling, income support services, community revitalization, and access to safe and affordable banking through the Urban Upbound Federal Credit Union. Our services are reared in the Jobs-Plus model, a proven place-based employment program designed to increase the earnings and employment of working age public housing residents. Jobs-Plus uses a three-pronged approach which includes: employment-related services; financial incentives that make work pay; and community supports for work, the strengthening of social ties among residents and community stakeholders to support residents' job preparation and work efforts.
Urban Upbound seeks a dedicated and professional Financial Counselor to join our Financial Fitness Program. The Financial Counselor provides a range of financial services that are tailored to the needs of individual program participants; from changing participants' attitudes towards their financial futures and goal setting, to credit repair and debt management, to long-term asset building of homeownership, higher education, and retirement planning. The ideal candidate would have individualized financial fitness counseling experience with clients from diverse economic, cultural and social backgrounds including low to moderate income.
The Financial counselor is someone who is flexible, open and caring to the greater population. You will be on the front lines of poverty alleviation, working with an innovative city organization, which is constantly changing and evolving its tactics towards tackling poverty in NYC.
- Financial counseling with lower-income New Yorkers, helping them achieve financial stability and mobility; measuring impact with specific weekly and yearly goals.
- Assist clients with complex issues of personal finance, including legal aspects, such as wage garnishments, judgments, bankruptcies, etc.
- Assist clients with affordable rental, first time homebuyer and home retention issues.
- Assists clients in understanding their financial capability including, credit report analysis, budget, savings and action plan preparation.
- Conduct client intakes and individual counseling/education.
- Conduct/coordinate group education and informational seminars utilizing PowerPoint presentations.
- Respond to client inquiries, monitor progress of participants and assists participants to understand affordability and non-delinquency issues. Provide early intervention as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information and provide administrative support by maintaining client records, inputting data in multiple data bases, arranging for client appointments, generating status reports and notifying clients of meeting dates.
- Provide outreach and general marketing services to the community regarding Financial Fitness and other Urban Upbound programs and services.
- Flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends may be required of this position.
- Duties will be required to be performed at various locations within the five boroughs as determined by the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree- Required.
- Prior work experience working with low income communities helpful.
- 2nd Language (Spanish, Bengali, Cantonese, Creole language proficiency preferred).
- Affordable housing (rental, first time homebuyer, foreclosure prevention) preferred
- Financial Fitness Counseling experience preferred (You must be committed to taking and passing the CUNY Personal Finance course, as mandated by NYC’s Office of Financial Empowerment).
- Must be based in NYC Metropolitan area.
- Commitment to helping social empowerment and economic development.
- Genuine passion for service and working with LMI community.
- Client focus and adaptability to different personality types.
- Genuine passion about money is essential, although advanced knowledge on topics may be learned on the job.
- Independent self-starter with strong teamwork abilities, as you will be given a lot of autonomy in managing your own clientele.
- Flexibility in working towards the larger mission of Urban Upbound, as this may involve a lot of experimentation in approaches to working with clients and referrals to other programs.
- Creativity in your approaches to working with people. Ideas are welcome here, including on improving client service delivery through technology, integration and communication methods.
- Training provided in various topics, including technical content skills, operational management, and analytical skills.
- Flexible schedule, committed to work-life balance.
- Provide you with challenges to develop your personal and career development skills.
- We provide medical and dental insurance, 403b, commuter pass program and generous vacation and sick days, as well as a very nice team with which to work.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Include Financial Fitness Counselor in the subject line.
Sick. Health. Vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
2nd Language (Spanish, Bengali, Cantonese, Creole language proficiency preferred).
Minimum Education Required