Part Time Temporary
9210 Corporate Boulevard
Reports to: Communications and Outreach Coordinator
Status: Part-Time, paid hourly
The Montgomery Coalition for Adult English Literacy strengthens the countywide adult English literacy network to support a thriving community and effective workforce.
Aspirational Vision Statement
MCAEL envisions a culturally diverse community where dreams are achieved through the power of literacy.
MCAEL traces its beginnings to 2002 when the Montgomery County Council, adult English literacy service providers and community stakeholders worked together to address the growing demand for programs and services. MCAEL incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2006 and received its 501(c)(3) tax status in 2008. The organization is in an exciting phase of its growth and enjoys an excellent reputation in the county and with our partners.
MCAEL has two major programs, supported by a variety of activities:
1. Capacity Building – MCAEL provides literacy program staff and instructors:
· professional development trainings and workshops using research-based practices
· maintains a library of respected teaching materials and resources
· facilitates networking opportunities
· administers County grants and raises other private grant funds to be awarded to adult English literacy provider programs
2. Community Engagement – MCAEL collects data on literacy and publishes reports; advocates for resources for literacy; educates and creates awareness about the challenges and solutions to literacy issues facing Montgomery County
This position will assist the Communications and Outreach Coordinator with a variety of planning, writing, and outreach tasks to support events, day-to-day internal and external communications. The candidate will also be part of the overall MCAEL team and may be called upon to participate in other MCAEL meetings and efforts as needed or as supports effectively executing the requirements of this position Some evening and/or weekend hours may be required.
- Marketing - develop event/meeting marketing materials, including social media posts:
- Draft weekly social media updates for MCAEL promoting our work, the coalition and other event specific updates like meetings, workshops or events
- Take photos/and or use existing photos of MCAEL events and members to create social media photo cards to post online, on website or use in email communications
- Work with MCAEL staff to create hashtags, blurbs/blogs to post on social media and website describing current work.
- News/Communications - Use existing templates to create monthly MCAEL Network Newsletter:
- Work with MCAEL staff and coalition members to pull news worthy items to publish in MCAEL’s newsletter
- Write text, headlines and strong subject lines
- Assist other MCAEL staff in sending out email blasts/announcements
- Website Updates – update the MCAEL website with event listings, news items and promotional listings, as well as photos, blogs, etc.
- Event/Meeting assistance - assist with MCAEL events such as MCAEL’s annual fundraiser and other events and regular meetings as needed
- Help with event preparation leading up to event
- Assist at event with set-up and guest registration and other duties as assigned
- Identify pre and post meeting communication needs and plans to address those in consultation with Executive Director
- Outreach – attend fairs, festivals and other opportunities for exposure to help promote MCAEL and our network of providers
- Strong verbal and written communication; ability to communicate effectively to both internal and external stakeholders and vendors
- Prior event planning experience preferred but not required
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Ability to be a self-starter and work under minimal supervision
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter
- Website maintenance experience; Drupal experience good but not required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, Google Suite Required. Additional software application knowledge a plus!
The successful candidate will have excellent communication, writing and research skills and will be familiar with social media. This is an excellent opportunity for a student seeking broad non-profit communications and event planning experience and significant responsibility at the internship level.
Commitment: April-August 2018. Flexible schedule; 4-8 hours per week during the weekdays between the hours of 9am-5pm, April-June; 20-10 hours per week during the weekdays between June-August 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit applications (cover letter, resume and list of three references) to email@example.com.
Writing sample preferred - not requried