This description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Manager, Media and Public Relations generates local, national and international print, broadcast and digital media coverage of the Prevent Cancer Foundation’s brand, key messages, initiatives, programs and events. The Manager serves as the project manager and principal editor for the Foundation’s signature print and digital publications and collateral material and ensures compliance across divisions with the Foundation’s branding and style guidelines and publication requests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Proactively pursue media opportunities for the Prevent Cancer Foundation and provide metrics in both traditional and digital media for internal and external use.
· Monitor all media for Foundation mentions and opportunities to respond (e.g. letters to the editor).
· Cultivate relationships with health reporters nationwide, especially those inside the Beltway.
· Act as the project manager and assistant editor of the Foundation’s signature print and digital publications and collateral materials. Publications include, but are not limited to, the annual report and quarterly newsletter.
· Ensure compliance across divisions with the Foundation’s branding and style guidelines and publication requests.
· Develop strategic media plans for organizational activities, programs and campaigns, including but not limited to the Dialogue for Action conference, spring gala, 5k Walk/Run and Health Fair, and Check Your Mate.
· Develop materials for the media and other target constituencies, including but not limited to:
o news releases
o media alerts
o media kits
o digital media content
o talking points
o articles or blog posts
o letters to the editor.
· In collaboration with the Graphic Design Coordinator and Senior Manager, Brand and Creative, work with other divisions to ensure compliance with print and digital publication requests.
· Work closely with Communications and Advocacy Manager on social media messaging
· Serve as an effective spokesperson for the Prevent Cancer Foundation when required and brief the Prevent Cancer Foundation senior management, board of directors or medical advisory board members prior to interviews, press conferences or presentations with the media.
· Liaise with external vendors as needed.
· Assist the Managing Director, External Affairs in ensuring strong writing and messaging integrity in all Foundation communications, including but not limited to, blog posts, Foundation brochures, donor letters, op-eds and e-blasts.
· Assist in media training of Foundation board, staff and volunteers.
· Handle additional writing assignments as needed.
· BA/BS with 3-5 years related experience.
· A proven track record of successful media relations (both traditional and digital) outreach and the ability to quantify that outreach.
· Superior knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) writing style
· Superior editing and writing skills.
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Strong project management skills.
· Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Proficient with Meltwater, Bacon’s Media Map or VOCUS.
· Familiar with WordPress content management system (CMS) and Blackbaud Online Express constituent management system (CRM) or similar systems
· Experience working in a health-related nonprofit organization preferred.
Conveniently located near the King Street Metro Stop, the Prevent Cancer Foundation offers a generous benefits package that includes healthcare, 401(k) participation, paid vacation, sick leave and federal holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples (including at least one press release and one op-ed) to Lisa Berry, Managing Director of External Affairs, at Lisa.Berry@preventcancer.org. Put “Manager, Media and PR” in the subject line.