1765 East Bayshore Road
East Palo Alto
HR Manager at The Primary School in East Palo Alto
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Primary School (TPS) is a new non-profit organization dedicated to dramatically improving health and educational outcomes for children. Fueled by the belief that the current model of school is too limited to close the achievement gap for our nation’s most at risk children, TPS is designing a new model of primary education and primary care which braids together education, health, and family support services starting at birth. In doing so, the organization will expand the traditional definition of “school” in order to prepare all children to succeed in college, career, and life. TPS was seeded by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a major national philanthropy.
TPS’s innovative new model of support has three defining characteristics:
- Provide integrated and comprehensive services: The new school will partner with an existing health care organization. Educators and health care professionals will provide integrated academic and health (physical, mental, and socio-emotional) services to students and families.
- Begin serving children at birth: The school will admit students at or before birth, and will provide early childhood supports alongside medical care during the critical years of child development, ensuring that students are school-ready by the time they enter the elementary school grades.
- Offer two-generation supports: Families will receive services, including primary care and intensive parenting education, to help them better support their children and become healthier themselves.
We opened our first site in East Palo Alto in 2016 and currently serve 250 children (ages 0 to 5) and their families. In 2018-19, the school will serve children in four grades: Pre-K (3 year-olds); Pre-K (4 year-olds); Kindergarten; and 1st grade.
ABOUT THE ROLE
At The Primary School, we seek to build a game-changing and replicable system of care for children. This requires a community of talented and committed staff who believe deeply in the value of integrating across historically siloed systems of education, health and family supports. From managing new hire onboarding, overseeing benefits & HR compliance, administering special leaves and handling employee relations, the HR Manager will be a key partner in our talent management strategy. This person will work closely with the Director of Talent to lead, implement and deliver human resources strategies, policies and services for TPS, along with develop the HR systems and processes that will allow our organization to scale and execute our vision.
- Manage all aspects of employee benefits and compensation
- Oversee Benefits Administration and systems, including planning and collaborating with vendors and brokers to administer services to employees
- Manage and process bi-weekly payroll from start to finish, including earnings adjustments and special deductions, transmit electronic files using ADP, and implement internal controls for accuracy.
- Manage and administer time-off and leaves of absence, including processing leave requests, determining eligibility, and coordinating with all applicable parties to administer FMLA, state mandated leaves, and company specific policies. Partner with Finance as needed.
- Lead and execute annual open enrollment cycle
- Answer employees questions regarding benefit plan eligibility, plan provisions and intercede when necessary with benefit providers
- Maintain all benefits documentation (including plan documents, amendments, summary plan descriptions, and 403(b)) and coordinate compliance with other benefit requirements
- Oversee HR Administration and Policies
- Keep abreast of all regulatory compliance for all TPS locations
- Coordinate and manage all HR Administration, including offer letters, offer packages, orientation packages, new hire orientation, termination and COBRA, and electronic and physical personnel file maintenance
- Implement employment-policy development and management and update the TPS employee manual
- Serve as the point of contact for all staff for employee relations
- Own Compliance & Safety
- Oversee employee status changes, classifications, and reclassifications, and associated notifications
- Manage company compliance with all existing labor, legal and government reporting and posting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, Workers Compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth
- Fulfill scheduled and ad hoc employee data/report requests while ensuring the highest levels of data protection/security
- Support the training of staff and supervisors on compliance issues (sexual harassment, wage and hour, etc.)
- Serve as a resource and adviser on talent acquisition, management, and development
- Develop, maintain, and execute on-boarding and exit processes in partnership with other members of the Talent team identifying trends and recommendations to improve retention
- Support the performance management process
- Provide consultation to senior leaders and employees on employee relations issues
- Support the development of job descriptions that are both inspiring and in compliance with applicable laws
- Execute on special projects as needed
- You are passionate about The Primary School’s vision and goal of creating a game-changing and replicable model. You’re excited about being on the ground floor of shaking things up and taking the lead in developing scalable systems and processes.
- You have significant Human Resources experience and are passionate about the role HR plays in supporting an organization’s goals. You know what a well-built out HR function looks like and are excited to help TPS build out systems & processes. You have a bachelor’s and 3-5 years of HR experience or a master’s degree in HR management and 2 years of experience in the HR field, or seven+ years of experience in the HR field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
- You treat everyone like a client. You think of your job as client service. Whether it’s the CEO or a junior level staff, you aim to deliver an experience that is representative of The Primary School’s values and principles, because you know that every interaction speaks to who we are.
- You are exceptionally detail oriented and have a high level of integrity. You have excellent judgement in decision-making and the ability to communicate powerfully. You have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise discretion in personnel matters at all times
- You have demonstrated expertise in managing projects, balancing multiple commitments, and adapting effectively while ensuring accuracy and timeliness. You have an ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity while being a collaborative team player with a “can do” attitude; willing to roll up sleeves and do whatever it takes to support team priorities
A Plus If
- You have experience working in schools or the education field
- You have HR certification
- You have experience administering leave of absences
- You have experience implementing HR systems
- You are an East Palo Alto or Belle Haven native and/or have experience working with a community similar to East Palo Alto and Belle Haven.
- You speak fluent Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY
Learn more & apply online via our website: https://www.theprimaryschool.org/current-opportunities/
Minimum Education Required