634 South Spring Street
The Immigrant Defenders Law Center (ImmDef) is a non-profit, social justice law firm in Los Angeles, CA that provides legal representation to Southern California’s most marginalized immigrant communities. ImmDef represents and advocates for child and adult immigrants who are in detention and/or removal proceedings and engages in cutting edge litigation related to post-conviction relief, immigration consequences of criminal convictions, unaccompanied minors issues and the intersection of mental health/competency and immigration law. ImmDef is also a leader in the movement for universal representation for immigrants. More information about our work can be found at www.immdef.org.
In 2016, ImmDef launched a unique project focusing on obtaining post-conviction relief for indigent immigrants in order to eliminate the adverse immigration consequences of criminal convictions and sentences. Post-conviction relief work entails case analysis, advocacy, and litigation before the California state criminal courts on overlapping issues involving constitutional, criminal, and immigration laws.
ImmDef seeks a full-time Staff Attorney, based in our Los Angeles, to primarily work on preparing and litigating post-conviction relief for individuals facing deportation proceedings, as well as providing research and evaluation of criminal issues in removal defense cases. The staff attorney may also represent individuals in their removal proceedings in immigration court.
The Staff Attorney will work under the direct supervision of a senior staff attorney experienced in post -conviction relief and in collaboration with managing and staff attorneys. Our attorneys receive support from paralegals, administrative assistants and case managers.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and litigate post -conviction relief petitions and motions in California criminal courts;
- Provide research and analysis of criminal immigration issues relevant to ImmDef’s removal defense cases.
- Stay up to date on rapidly changing criminal and immigration laws and policies as they relate to criminal immigration issues.
- Comply with data and program reporting requirements.
- Participate in advocacy and policy work related to criminal immigration issues.
Competitive public interest between$55,000 and $70,000 DOE + generous benefits package, including health, dental, sick and vacation time, 12 paid holidays/year, and our office is closed between 12/25 and 1/2.
As a 501(c)(3) corporation, attorneys are eligible for public service loan forgiveness programs for federal student loans.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Juris Doctorate degree required;
- Active California State Bar License required;
- Criminal defense or prosecution practice experience preferred;
- Post- conviction and/or appellate advocacy preferred.
- Experience working with detained immigrants or other incarcerated populations is a big plus;
- Experience with removal defense is a plus;
- Spanish language proficiency preferred;
- Experience working in a high volume, social-justice law firm is a huge plus;
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills required
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required;
- Enthusiasm for working at a progressive, start-up organization;
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required.
- DACA Recipients encouraged to apply!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Los Angeles Applications:
E-mail cover letter, resume, 3 references, and brief writing sample (5 pages or less) to: Lindsay Toczylowski, Executive Director, Immigrant Defenders Law Center at AttorneyJobs@immdef.org. Please indicate where you came across our job announcement. In the subject line please write FIRST NAME_LAST NAME_STAFF ATTORNEY APPLICATION.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
ImmDef believes in second chances. As an organization, we will rely on individualized assessments in the hiring of those with past criminal convictions. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for a position fighting for our immigrant communities!
Immigrant Defenders Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.