Thread Capital is seeking a marketing and communications manager to raise the organization's public profile and enhance brand awareness in order to increase the amount of capital, coaching, and connections available to small businesses who have traditionally faced barriers to accessing resources.
Thread Capital is a North Carolina-based nonprofit organization and certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that is a subsidiary of the NC Rural Center. Thread specifically focuses on small businesses that are owned by people of color, women, low-income individuals, and rural-based individuals in an effort to make entrepreneurship an achievable goal for any North Carolinian who has a viable business idea. Since its launch in 2018, Thread has worked with thousands of entrepreneurs across North Carolina, providing more than 1,000 loans totaling more than $60 million.
The marketing and communications manager will report directly to Thread Capital’s director of operations and will play a strategic role in developing, coordinating, implementing, and directing marketing and communications for our growing team.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Work with the director of operations to develop, implement, and execute the Thread Capital marketing and communications plan to promote Thread Capital’s products and services.
- Oversee the use, deployment, maintenance, and improvement of a variety of digital and non-digital media content and platforms.
- Create marketing content, annual reports, press releases, client profiles, fact sheets, data reports, etc., for various channels including the Thread Capital website, blog, newsletter, and various social media platforms, that maintain a consistent and uniformed message while adhering to brand guidelines across channels.
- Implement and execute effective communication strategies that build brand awareness, acquire customers, and drive customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate with the Thread team on the development of communication and marketing strategies, content, and deliverables to support new products, launches, events, and promotions.
- Supervise projects to guarantee all content is publication-ready, meets organizational brand guidelines, and aligns with the overall mission of the organization
- Manage relationships with different marketing vendors to execute strategic projects.
- Apply an equity lens to all aspects of internal and external communication and engagement, including but not limited to: messaging, delivery, and content development (i.e., visuals, narratives).
- Develop and execute content and communications quickly to address emergency situations (e.g., natural disasters, pandemics, etc) that affect North Carolina businesses.
- Monitor and identify effectiveness and results of marketing initiatives via tracking and analysis, and iterate as needed
- Create content that will align with a developed SEO (Search Engine Optimization) strategy.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for media inquiries and releases to local, regional, statewide, and national media outlets.
- Facilitate media coaching and training for Thread staff and leadership.
- Maintain organizational talking points, and verify external program data and information is up-to-date, accurate, and ready for public consumption.
- Evaluate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships, and other brand-building strategies on an ongoing basis.
- Collect customer and market insights to inform marketing initiatives.
- Perform other related duties necessary to support Thread Capital and the Rural Center’s mission and vision.
- Bachelor's degree, ideally with a focus in business, management, marketing, communications, journalism, public relations or other relevant field.
- Three years of marketing/communications experience.
- Strong storytelling skill set.
- Experience copy editing and proofing both print and digital content and deliverables.
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to wear “multiple hats,” pivot, and constantly evaluate/reevaluate which strategic priorities to focus on.
- Ability to work as a strong team player but independently as needed—and always with a sense of purpose and humor.
- A commitment to collaborate, communicate, and engage effectively with people and communities of diverse backgrounds and histories, including communities where English is a secondary language.
- Comfort with data, analytics, and managing the operations of a marketing and communications function.
- High standard of excellence, accuracy and consistency, personal integrity, and accountability.
- Energetic, self-motivated, and comfortable in public speaking situations.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite of products and/or Canva, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software (preferably Salesforce), and Google Workplace tools.
- Passion for entrepreneurship and the power of small business to change lives and communities.