1 East 104th Street
Dean of Students, 2018-2019 Academic Year
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Location: Harlem, NYC
About Capital Preparatory Schools
Capital Preparatory Schools is a charter school management organization operating a network of educational communities. Our mission is to build a path where there was none. From its inception, the Capital Prep community—our students, parents, faculty, and staff—have come together to create a compelling and meaningful educational experience. The Capital Preparatory Schools, located in Bridgeport, Connecticut and New York, NY provides with a year-round education in a private school setting that encourages students to become scholars and agents of change.
Capital Preparatory Schools believes that all children, when given the right conditions and environment, will succeed and excel in their academic and social-emotional growth. This is achieved by blending elements of academic models that successfully support students from historically disadvantaged populations, with innovative approaches that get 100% of our graduates accepted to four-year colleges.
Focusing on the key attributes of leaders, our learner expectations are designed to develop students who are:
- information processors;
- problem solvers;
- knowledgeable people;
- responsible and empathetic citizens.
With the support of the Capital Prep team of skilled and compassionate educators, students realize their academic abilities, advocate for social justice and fulfill their civic responsibilities. As leaders of social justice, we expect our students to use their education to improve the lives of others.
Teaching at Capital Preparatory Schools
Capital Preparatory Schools is committed to teaching and learning that promotes the success of every student by:
- Creating a safe and enjoyable educational environment that encompasses our social justice model and that ensures every graduate moves on to attend college;
- Providing individualized instruction and enrichment opportunities for students to ensure that gifted students are challenged and struggling students are supported;
- Hiring and growing quality teachers and leaders and empowering them to use their craft to inspire students to achieve at the highest levels.
Capital Preparatory Schools seeks passionate educators to join our community for the 2017-18 academic year.
The Dean of Students will report directly to the principal and serve as a member of the school’s leadership team.
- Defines and builds a school culture consistent with The Capital Prep principles and mission Designs and implements programs that recognize, and reward students Devises school-wide rituals, including advisory, community meetings, and celebrations that promote the culture and sustain the school’s values.
- Shapes and manages the physical environment to underscore the school’s culture and aspirations, which includes but is not limited to daily supervision of school events, oversight of arrival, departure, breakfast, and lunch times for students
- Meets with students referred by teachers and collaborates to create student improvement plans pertaining to behavior or academics
- Ensure that the student behavior management efforts are restorative and that the implementation of student development programs and initiatives are done with fidelity to the process and at the highest level of quality with full support.
- Ensures that consequences are fairly and consistently implemented throughout the school
- Attend and contribute to leadership meetings
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of ongoing mechanisms to gather input from students, staff, parents, and other key stakeholders to advance student success and learning activities.
- Designing and delivering professional development to promote teacher growth and enhance program effectiveness in the areas of classroom management, organization, and incorporation techniques adopted by Capital Prep.
- Serve as a resource to teachers on issues of credit accumulation, advisory, school culture, classroom management, discipline, and relationships with students
- Coaches staff in holding all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations
- Coordinating implementation of advisory program for scholars.
- Observe teachers and provide informal and formal feedback aligning content and pedagogy to philosophy and vision during advisory blocks
- Serve as a lynchpin in the school’s student engagement and development strategies to ensure that staff are working together to build a positive school climate and culture
- Support teachers in establishing essential classroom elements
- interventions and social-emotional supports for students
- Develop and manage a schedule of student-centered programs and activities that help to build community, engage students in fun educational activities and experiences that create school traditions and celebrations to edify the school culture and core values as well as support academic success
- Builds a support network for students that includes development of a student government and student leadership team
- A Master’s Degree in Education and a minimum of five (5) years successful teaching experience;
- Agreement with the academic goals and philosophy of the charter school;
- Knowledge of current educational research and issues;
- Demonstrated effective collaboration and communication skills;
- Demonstrated effective problem solving, planning and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated effective training and presentation skills;
- Ability to structure own time and manage multiple priorities;
- Knowledge and experience in curriculum development and implementation;
- Knowledge of Common Core Standards;
- Commitment to accountability, including a rigorous student testing regime;
- Knowledge of the workshop model approach;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of adult learning and effective staff development practices;
- Exhibited leadership in working with professional staff, students, and the community;
- Demonstrated success in encouraging parental involvement;
- Knowledge and experience in using the coaching process;
- Facilitation skills;
- Evidence of data driven decision-making;
- Knowledge of professional learning communities;
- Experience working with Bilingual/ELL students.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Capital Preparatory Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, please complete our online application:
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire and promote without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To join our team, please click the link below to apply to our school: