Details: Annual Salary: $45,000
400 7th Street NW, Suite 602
Equal Justice Under Law seeks a Social Justice Writer to write grants and media content for this small but highly-impactful civil rights nonprofit based in Washington, D.C. Two to three years of previous experience in grant writing and prospecting is required. This position will benefit from a self-motivated candidate with a strong work ethic. Under the leadership of the Executive Director, Social Justice Writer will be responsible for prospecting grant opportunities, writing grants, writing letters to potential major donors, e-mailing and calling foundations, writing web content about criminal justice issues, writing press releases about criminal justice litigation, and e-mailing and calling journalists. The position is fulltime.
Founded in 2014, Equal Justice Under Law is an innovative non-profit organization in Washington, D.C. seeking systemic change in our criminal justice system through litigation across the country. We seek to protect the rights of the most underrepresented, impoverished, and marginalized members of our society. Our mission is to end inequality in our justice system by attacking wealth-based discrimination including landmark cases challenging the rise of modern-day debtors’ prisons, the American money bail system, mandatory minimum sentencing, wealth-based banishment schemes, and discriminatory suspension of driver’s licenses. For a sampling of our current cases and recent successes, see our website: www.equaljusticeunderlaw.org.
· Spearhead fundraising and communications for small nonprofit
· Research and identify foundations for potential grant applications
· E-mail and call foundations to learn more about potential grant applications
· Write letters of interest and grant proposals
· Write letters to potential major donors
· Write letters to current donors
· Write press releases about the work of the organization
· Write blog posts about criminal justice issues
· Write web content, and newsletters
· Update website and post to social media
· Help Executive Director coordinate media appearances and interviews
· Demonstrate commitment, passion and enthusiasm for Equal Justice Under Law’s mission and vision.
· Strong writing skills, both in terms of quality (i.e., good writer) and efficiency (i.e., productivity/output)
· Understanding of non-profit sector and foundations
· Comfort prospecting foundations and writing grant proposals
· Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
· Quality content creator (press releases, blogs, web material, messaging)
· Experience with social media and other web-based material
· Good collaborator but also a self-motivator who is comfortable working independently
· Detail-oriented with demonstrated organization and time-management skills
· Strong office administration and project management skills
· Passion for issues surrounding civil rights, equality, poverty, and criminal justice
· Expected salary: $45,000/year
· Excellent benefits package, including health insurance and retirement
· Healthy work/life balance
· Growth opportunities in a growing organization
· Equal Justice Under Law is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by September 9, 2018, and should submit a cover letter, resume, list of references, and relevant writing sample (e.g., grant application, report, etc.). Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. All materials should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.