Details: Salary range is in the $80,000s.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, this position provides strategic direction to the team leading New York Cares’ efforts to direct thousands of New Yorkers each year in volunteer programs that address immediate needs; improve the lives of vulnerable New Yorkers; and revitalize parks, schools, and community gardens across New York City. These programs include hunger-related projects, recreation projects for under-socialized seniors and individuals with disabilities, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, and park and community garden revitalization projects — among many others. Program departments within the Director’s purview develop and implement both volunteer-led programs and staff-led customized volunteer opportunities for corporate partners, all to achieve outcome goals set in cooperation with community partners. In addition, the Director oversees two of New York Cares’ marquee annual events, New York Cares Day for Schools and the New York Cares Coat Drive.
The Director role has three key accountability streams:
- Providing strategic direction and ongoing supervision for a team of approximately 15 full-time officers and program managers accountable for planning and implementing programs and maintaining and strengthening relationships within their respective content areas, as well as seasonal employees and AmeriCorps members;
- Initiating connections and developing New York Cares’ relationships with leaders and decision makers at government and nonprofit agencies, such as the Department of Education and Parks & Recreation Department, setting the course for deeper relationships with Impact Partners — community organizations New York Cares has identified for strategic investment and increased programming; and
- Leading cross-department collaboration within New York Cares to drive organizational effectiveness and efficiency and develop and implement strategic initiatives to engage individuals, corporations and civic groups in meaningful volunteer service.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage a team of direct and indirect reports, set clear and ambitious goals for program development, and coach and support team members to realize their full potential;
- Lead the cultivation of relationships with partner agencies and corporate sponsors;
- Oversee all aspects of the program planning and execution for the Immediate Needs & Public Spaces team;
- Represent New York Cares to funders and external audiences; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred);
- 8+ years of program-related experience, including at least 5+ years directly managing and evaluating full-time staff;
- Subject matter expertise in social service provision and/or public space revitalization;
- Proven success in developing new partnerships and leveraging corporate resources for community impact;
- Familiarity with NYC community organizations, including schools, nonprofits, and social service agencies;
- Exceptional leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Excellent systems thinking and problem-solving skills; and
- Ability to work effectively independently and drive strategic initiatives.
We provide excellent benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the position in the Subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peace Corps & AmeriCorps alumni are encouraged to apply.