105 Chauncy Street
Veterans Housing Advocate
Dynamic, innovative non-profit agency seeks experienced person for a Veterans Housing Advocate position. This full time position will assist veterans experiencing homelessness with all aspects of housing search and placement into permanent housing in conjunction with Veterans Affairs, the New England Center and Home for Veterans, Boston Public Health Commission, and other shelters veterans may be accessing.
HomeStart is Greater Boston’s leading provider of housing search and follow-up support services for homeless and low-income people.
- Assist veterans experiencing homelessness with all aspects of housing search and placement into permanent housing: work with clients to devise an appropriate housing search strategy; complete housing applications and prepare necessary documentation; negotiate with landlords, housing authorities, and realtors.
- Perform housing assessments; problem-solving; and providing information and referrals.
- Coordinate housing search activity with related work of shelter case managers.
- Conduct housing search workshops and housing support groups for clients and other service providers, when appropriate.
- Maintain client housing files and furnish reports on client services provided.
- Complete all paperwork, statistics, and data entry in a timely and thorough manner.
- Remain up-to-date on regulations and programs relevant to client needs.
- Some early morning or evening hours may be expected as part of a 40 hour work week.
- Minimum one to three years housing search or related experience (case management, mental health services and counseling, property management, community organizing/advocacy).
- Strong advocacy and outreach skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good math skills.
- Dedication to helping people who are experiencing homelessness move beyond shelter.
- Ability to facilitate groups and conduct presentations.
- Knowledge of subsidized and private housing resources and regulations preferred.
- Experience with adults experiencing homelessness and/or recovery population preferred.
- Bilingual skills and/or veteran status a plus.
- Computer skills required (MS Windows, Word, Excel, internet).
HomeStart offers: Salary plus generous benefits package, a dynamic staff, flexibility, and a supportive work environment. HomeStart is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Persons of color and formerly homeless persons encouraged to apply.
Salary plus generous benefits package, a dynamic staff, flexibility, and a supportive work environment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual a plus but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter AND resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org