7100 Connecticut Avenue
4-H, the nation’s largest youth development organization, grows confident young people who are empowered for life today and prepared for career tomorrow. 4-H programs empower nearly six million young people across the U.S. through experiences that develop critical life skills. In the U.S., 4-H serves every county and parish through our network of 110 universities and more than 3000 local offices. 4-H garners support from a unique private-public partnership of universities, federal and local government agencies, foundations and professional associations. 4-H is the private sector, non-profit partner of the Cooperative Extension System and 4-H National Headquarters located at the National Institute of Food and Agriculture within the United States Department of Agriculture.
4-H currently seeks an experienced Senior Director, Marketing Strategy and Planning who will be responsible for strategic planning, brand integration and operations for the Marketing & Brand Department under limited supervision of the Senior Vice President (SVP), Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). The ideal candidate will also first and foremost be a culture spark and thought catalyst leader on the marketing senior leadership team and across National 4-H Council. Responsibilities will also include facilitating the Marketing & Brand’s annual departmental marketing strategy; plan development processes and reporting; lead 4-H’s brand campaign development and activation; guide departmental operations including financials, metrics and data analysis; and partner with the CMO on 4-H’s marketing cultivation of board members, youth advisory members, and high-level influencers.
Marketing Strategy & Operations Duties
- Responsible for on-going management of brand platform and driving organizational alignment around 4-H brand by consulting across business units to ensure efforts are on-brand, tie into marketing strategy and are consistent with brand positioning, messaging and activation.
- Facilitate long-term and intermediate marketing strategic planning, including serving as marketing liaison for organizational-wide planning; building a seamless and integrated process for strategic plan delivery across marketing functions and guide the Marketing & Brand team in annual planning (retreats, recurring meetings, think sessions) including setting goals, objectives, strategies, tactics and key performance indicators for each fiscal year.
- Collaborate and work with teams to facilitate strategy to deliver a seamless and compelling content experience across all 4-H properties and platforms aligned to brand positioning. Includes collaborating with content contributors and channel managers on an integrated approach to maximize the business value by leveraging 4-H content.
- Oversee Marketing & Brand performance evaluation by managing and developing tracking tools and processes, monitoring key performance indicators and feeding into organizational dashboards and making real-time assessments on strategies and tactics based on the latest data and insights.
- Serve as Marketing’s primary budget steward partnering with the Finance team to develop, manage and track a range of departmental and grant budgets; including but not limited to expenditures, coding, reconciliations and re-projections to align with strategic marketing priorities.
Brand Campaign Management Duties
- Lead alignment of the brand campaign to the brand positioning platform ensuring all stakeholders and partners are focused on key insights, audiences, differentiators, messages, and channels.
- Manage cross-functional activation of the brand campaign, including inspiring collaboration, facilitating strategic planning and driving implementation across all Marketing & Brand functions and other departments; develop and manage a central timeline for driving all components of the brand campaign launch and post-launch activation.
- Serve as primary brand subject matter expert and guidance to agency work across channels for brand campaign strategy and assets, including leading development of creative briefs for campaign strategy concepts, providing day-to-day management for primary brand agency of record including account management, managing agency budgeting and invoicing, and facilitating organizational review and approval of concepts and deliverables.
- Work closely with Partnership Marketing and Resource Development teams to build a model for leveraging the value of the brand for corporate partner investment and opportunities and align funding from partners to strategic marketing imperatives and campaign budgeting.
- Partner enterprise-wide to write, produce and present content, presentations, collateral, and so forth, targeted for brand sell-in and value added to corporate and media partners, 4-H systems, board, ambassadors and influencers, youth and others.
Board Marketing Development Duties
- Work in partnership with the SVP and CMO to inform and engage 4-H’s board of trustees in marketing opportunities and activation including developing research, profiles and engagement plans.
- Manage an annual board activation event focused on marketing and engaging marketing industry influencers.
- Lead the strategic development of the Board’s Youth Advisory Committee (YAC), including selection, on-boarding, and activation of YAC members across 4-H departments and initiatives, as well as operational management of the Committee.
- Responsible for the development and launch of a Board affiliated marketing advisory committee, engaging industry leaders willing to open doors and provide access for 4-H brands across various media platforms and channels.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Marketing, Communication, Journalism or a related field with at least ten years of progressive brand marketing, public relations (PR), and digital marketing experience; preferably in the non-profit sector
- A minimum of ten years of experience and successful track record in developing integrated marketing campaigns with an emphasis on PR, content and digital strategies and tactics that are connected to tangible metrics and outcomes.
- A sound understanding of the dynamics of fundraising, donor stewardship, and business/non-profit partnerships.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- A strong leader, mentor, and trainer; excellent leadership and people skills. Brings a level of selflessness to their work.
- Superior strategic planning and project management skill-set with high attention to detail required.
- Ability to influence teams’ enterprise-wide and reinforce new organizational behaviors and fresh thinking.
- Highly developed writing, interpersonal and presentation skills; strong experience with new business proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, organize effectively, work quickly and manage multiple priorities under deadline in a fast-paced and busy environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple high-profile donors and board members.
- Business acumen and a track record of successfully stewarding significant budgets accurately and responsibly.
- Unique savviness to leverage and create opportunities beyond limited budgets and capacity to achieve success.
- Flexible mindset and comfort with occurrences of ambiguity and evolving priorities.
- Enjoys working in, thinking about and creating a spirit of fun, play, and enjoyment while getting things done.
- Craves and values a mission-based non-profit environment with a passion for empowering young people.
- Brings passion, drive, and vigor to their work; understands the balance of building through collaboration and values. rolling up their sleeves to build from ground up with a group of like-minded individuals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required.
- This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Basic math skills needed to calculate formulas, commissions, discounts, etc.
- Must be able to lift 10 pounds.
Travel may be necessary, up to 10-15% of the time (local, regional, national). Would require travel by air, car, rail.
This position typically has the following career ladder:
- Vice President of Marketing & Brand
- SVP of Marketing & Brand
Health and Metro benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required