91 Larkspur Street
Canal Alliance seeks a full-time bilingual Legal Outreach Coordinator to join its Immigration Legal Services Team. Canal Alliance is the leading service provider and community advocate for Marin’s low-income, Spanish speaking immigrants. The Legal Outreach Coordinator works closely with and reports to the Director of Immigration Legal Services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate and meet regularly with community partners, health centers, school districts and colleges, to coordinate Conduct Know-Your-Rights (KYR) presentations and legal screenings.
- Collaborate with other legal or non-legal service providers in the community to share information and organize trainings.
- Offer KYR presentations to individuals in the community on their rights, current immigration law and policy topics, with the purpose of empowering our immigrant community.
- After proper training, conduct intake and screenings to identify potential immigration legal remedies and make appropriate referrals.
- Coordinate with pro bono attorneys and volunteers to organize legal clinics and other community events.
- Prepare written materials and presentations on KYR and other legal resources.
- Work with our marketing department to promote upcoming events, inform about potential changes in immigration law, and share positive stories using social media.
- At the end of the one-year contract, draft a brief report summarizing outcomes related to KYR and screening events.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Share Canal Alliance’s mission and be passionate about immigrant rights.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent university level education from other countries.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- DOJ Accreditation or interest in applying for it within 3 months of employment.
- Access to a car, valid driver’s license and insurance, and ability to travel mostly within Marin County.
- Willingness to work flexible hours; evenings and weekends.
- Comfortable with public speaking and willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community.
- Experience working with low-income, immigrant, and monolingual Spanish-speaking communities.
- Well organized, highly motivated, able to handle multiple tasks at once, work well under pressure, and take initiative.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Compensation and Benefits: Competitive salary plus medical and dental benefits including 100% employer paid health insurance.
Applications: Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Place these words in the subject line “Know Your Rights Coordinator.”
This is a full-time position with benefits. We offer a competitive salary with a benefits package that includes 3 weeks paid vacation a year, 12 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance. In addition, there are 12 paid holidays annually, a 403(b) retirement plan and a Flex cafeteria plan.
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required