For over forty years, the Boys & Girls Club of Harlem has held to its mission to provide access and opportunities for youth to achieve their full potential as responsible members of the community. This has been achieved through the provision of comprehensive youth development programming that promotes, academic achievement, good health and wellness habits and strong character and leadership skills. As the organization enters its next exciting phase of growth to serve well over 1,200 young people, both in schools and community center settings, the organization has commenced a search for a Director of Administration who will be a key part of the organization’s management and leadership team, responsible for driving our scale and impact. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will be responsible for the organizations core corporate functions, including financial management, human resources and facilities manage. The core responsibilities include:
- With the support of the out-sourced financial management firm, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Maintain all organization’s operational polices, such as the employee handbook and ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Supervise reception staff and assigned interns
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants
- Lead in planning and execution of all employee recruitment activities (position marketing, initial vetting, interview scheduling and candidate communications)
- Coordinate staff on-boarding, including facilitation of staff orientation and all employment paperwork.
- Process staff clearances in adherence to NYS Office of Children and Family Services School Aged-Child Care (SACC) and Boys & Girls Club of America standards
- Coordinate annual staff evaluation processes and other staff surveys
- Consult with management staff on various human resources actions (disciplinary, recognition, etc.)
- Ensure that facilities are in compliance with key regulatory agencies, including Department of Health, Department of Buildings and Fire Department
- Manage all building operations vendors (i.e.: mainternance, IT, food service)
- Regularly monitor use and condition of equipment and building furnishings
- Vet and schedule external requests for facilities rental
- Supervise set up and breakdown of all events
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience and at least five years of supervisory experience.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Boys & Girls Club of Harlem