1991 2nd Avenue
DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI), an award winning sports-based youth development program, is seeking dynamic, motivated individuals to serve as Athletic Coaches to support and coordinate for our 4-week DREAM University summer program. DREAM University runs from July 9th through August 3rd. DREAM University will serve approximately 150 6th, 7th and 8th graders and will include an academic morning at Manhattan College, recreational afternoon at the Manhattan College Athletic Facilities and Friday day-long field trips. DREAM University Athletics Coaches are expected to deliver structured, skill-based recreational lessons that follow the scope and sequence provided. All DREAM University Coaches will report to the DREAM University Program Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Deliver, structured, skill-based sport education lessons that are aligned with the programs scope and sequence, which include: Football, Soccer, Lacrosse, Track and Field, Baseball/Softball, Basketball, Gymnastics, Group Aerobic/Anaerobic Fitness, Ultimate Frisbee and Rugby;
- Supervise and manage students at all times using positive discipline techniques and pro-active interventions to ensure physical and emotional safety;
- Collaborate with the Program Director to lead teambuilding lessons that help youth build social-emotional skills in areas such as teamwork, conflict resolution and self-esteem;
- Chaperone off-site enrichment field trips on Fridays;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities;
- Participate in professional development and tactical meetings as necessary.
- In pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Physical Education, preferred;
- Experience working with groups of children;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- Willingness to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for students and staff;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s mission and values.
· 11:00am-3:30pm on Monday-Thursdays; 7:00am-4:00pm on Fridays and must also attend a coaches training before the summer begins.
· Program runs from July 9-August 3 2018, with 10 hours of training prior to program start.
· Summer Athletic Coaches will earn an hourly wage of $15/hour.
Minimum Education Required