Details: Depending on experience
3022 International Boulevard
Causa Justa :: Just Cause [CJJC] builds grassroots power and leadership to create strong, equitable communities. Born from a visionary merger between a Black housing rights organization and a Latin@ immigrant rights organization, we build bridges of solidarity between working class communities of color. Through rights-based services, policy campaigns, civic engagement, and direct action, we improve conditions in our neighborhoods in Oakland and San Francisco and contribute to building the larger multi-racial, multi-generational movement needed for fundamental change.
The primary role of the Co-Director for the Community Rights Department is to provide political leadership, leadership development and supervision support to the Community Rights Team to advance our vision of Community Rights, engage the community in building intergenerational Black and Brown Unity and advocate for 21st Century Sanctuary and Community Defense.
We are seeking a Co-Director to lead our Black organizing work and help advance our intergenerational model. The Black Priorities Project (BPP) is a long term organizing project intended to invest resources and capacity into the question of how to build social, economic and political power for Black people in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Two Co-Directors for Community Rights share leadership of this department, which includes our BPP, Immigrant Rights and Youth In Power programs, and divide specific areas of work. This position will report to the Executive Director.
Shared Areas of Work between Department Co-Directors
The Community Rights Co-Directors are together responsible for the strategic development and management of the Community Rights programs of the organization. This includes: Know Your Rights services in Oakland and San Francisco; Creating and leading Community Rights Campaigns, and Building power by integrating rights-based services, member recruitment and leadership development, and CJJC Community Rights campaigns. The Community Rights Co-Directors also represent CJJC externally in advocacy work, media work, and participate in various local, regional, state and national alliances. Key responsibilities include providing political and planning support to the program staff, through supervision and leading program evaluation and planning processes, and identifying and implementing strategic new opportunities or programs.
Organizational Leadership and Management – Participate in Directors Team - Approx 5% each position
- Contribute to overall development and implementation of organizational vision, strategy and political analysis.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the annual state of the organization and organizational priorities document, as well as the director’s team work plan.
Fundraising for Community Rights Team Programs – 10%
- Work with fundraising team to achieve program related fundraising goals for this department.
- Build relationships with funders of this work and influence philanthropy around Community Rights issues and growing resources, especially for Black organizing and Latino Immigrant organizing, base-building, leadership development and movement building.
Communications Strategy and Implementation – 10%
- Articulate and communicate both internally and externally CJJC’s vision, strategy, organizing model and political analysis, and the specific strategies of the Community Rights programs
- Work with communications team to achieve visibility goals for the Community Rights programs
- Write occasional analysis pieces, blog posts, and deliver presentations around Community Rights issues.
Team Management - 15%
- Identify opportunities for intra-program alignment or coordination across CJJC
- Plan and facilitate Community Rights Team meetings, Program Leads meetings, and Program Staff meetings
- Support others who represent the organization in strategic alliances and coalitions to represent and further the mission and vision of the org and the specific contributions of the Community Rights Department around criminalization of Black and Latino communities to movement building
Align and Integrate within Team and Cross-Team Priorities - 10%
- Lead program assessment, evaluation and planning processes
- Work with the volunteer coordinator to identify and meet program related volunteer needs and support the development and implementation of effective systems and processes around this work
- Work with the administration and operations team to develop and implement effective program related systems and process
- Work with the directors’ and operations teams to develop and implement organizational policies within the program work and with program staff and members
Program Development and Staff Management - 50% of time
Program Planning and Implementation
- Develop annual and monthly work plans for the department which include developing the necessary vision, assessment, organizational structures and division of labor for implementing the existing work.
- Develop emerging work in response to strategic junctures (‘coyunturas’).
- Represent the organization in strategic alliances that result from new program work or that will result in future new work.
Each Co-Director Supervises up to 4 Direct Reports
- Supervise lead program staff
- Support program leads with supervision of other program staff
- Set overall program staff expectations and responsibilities
- Develop and implement staff development plan and activities
- Salary range is $55,000 - $70,000, depending on experience. Position includes generous benefits package including vacation, PTO, holidays, full medical, dental, vision and Health Savings Account.
- Position open until filled but apply soon, interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis
- People of color, women, QTPOC are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position includes generous benefits package including vacation, PTO, holidays, full medical, dental, vision and Health Savings Account.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online, submit a cover letter and resume to https://cjjc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=5. Apply soon; interviews are scheduled on a rolling basis and the job will be open until filled.