Improvement Advisor: Emphasis on Homeless Sector Knowledge, Coaching and Facilitation
- Job posted by Community Solutions
Community Solutions strives to attract extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. Please help us improve our outreach to diverse applicants by completing this brief survey, which is anonymous and in no way tied to your application. Thank you!
Community Solutions is seeking an experienced, self-motivated and organized individual to join the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero Team as an Improvement Advisor. This position will be responsible for supporting Built for Zero communities in ending homelessness for chronically homeless individuals and veterans and will assist with the design and delivery of strategies focused on improving local progress toward this end. This position is also expected to work flexibly on Built for Zero portfolio projects and activities as needed.
The Built for Zero team draws on a set of core competencies to support communities in their journey towards ending homelessness. The ideal candidate will be very comfortable with two of these competencies in particular: facilitation of teams to achieve goals and Quality Improvement (QI) as a problem-solving and measurement methodology. Special consideration will be given to candidates that have taught the principles of QI and facilitated teams through improvement projects. The ideal candidate will also be familiar with the work of Built for Zero from the community side and have expertise and content knowledge related to housing and homelessness. Knowledge of Continuum of Care governance and funding structures is also encouraged.
The salary for this position starts at $70,000 USD.
About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is the team behind the 100,000 Homes Campaign and the ongoing Built for Zero initiative. The White House, the United Nations and the World Economic Forum have each recognized our fun, user-driven approach to helping communities end homelessness. This position is tied to the implementation of the Built for Zero initiative, an international network of communities and partners working through a variety of projects to achieve functional zero and effectively end homelessness with the aim of providing evidence that doing so is possible and a tipping point such that communities worldwide are working towards this end. Nine communities have already achieved functional zero and ended homelessness for their local veteran and/or chronic populations.
Community Solutions seeks leaders at every level: extraordinary, mission oriented people not satisfied with the status quo. We are a team of values driven problem solvers motivated by results. We eagerly seek and support diverse applicants. We provide generous benefits and opportunities for inspiring and transformational professional growth. We pride ourselves in developing an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
The candidate of our dreams is organized, but not rigid–– a “get shit done” kind of person who can work out a plan of action quickly in the face of ambiguity and changing information (this environment offers a lot of both). We’re looking for the sort of person who finds problem solving and complex implementation fun and who prides themselves on seeing multiple paths to the same outcome. You should come to work everyday with a desire to collaborate with your teammates as we serve local change agents in communities around the world.
You should be dedicated and clear-eyed about what it takes to make a difference for some of the most vulnerable people in our societies. This work is hard, and our team is relentlessly committed to rigor, measurement and provable impact. You’ll work long and hard like the rest of us, and every day, you’ll have the satisfaction of contributing to a meaningful outcome that is owned by our whole team. Your title will be Improvement Advisor, but when people ask you what you do, we hope you’ll learn to say, “I’m helping communities end homelessness for good.”
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in strategic planning and implementation for the Built for Zero initiative, with a commitment to iteration and improvement.
- Use Quality Improvement methods and tools, coach and consult with targeted communities to achieve improvements specific to reducing the number of individuals experiencing chronic, veteran or other types of homelessness month to month, improving the trajectory toward reaching functional zero.
- Support time-bound mixed methods research projects on various topics related to improving communities’ abilities to reach functional zero and translate those findings into opportunities for testing innovations to catalyze the work of ending homelessness.
- Conduct outreach to community leaders and federal partners to understand unique opportunities and challenges related to Continuum of Care structures to identify innovations that can be tested within these structures in service of ending homelessness in communities.
- Serve as a confident and commanding facilitator, providing content expertise during national and community based technical assistance events.
- Use data to develop, test, implement and spread changes that will support communities in reducing the number of individuals experiencing chronic and veteran homelessness month to month, improving the trajectory toward reaching functional zero.
- Engage staff, community leaders and strategic partners to provide input and to support the design of Built for Zero tools and methods when applicable.
- Assess improvement education and training needs of low performing communities; develop appropriate strategies, implement support plans, monitor outcomes and improvements.
- Train and support communities to use data to drive performance specific to their local efforts to end homelessness.
- Produce, support, and participate in Built for Zero webinars as needed.
- Capture learning and best practice from high performing communities as a strategy for scale.
- As a representative of Community Solutions, present on Built for Zero learning, methods and/or outcomes and at conferences, workshops, convenings, etc.
- Other projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Three to five years previous work experience in a professional environment
- Passion for ending homelessness and the belief it is possible
- Content knowledge on housing and homelessness, Continuums of Care, national best practices, and local systems design
- Command of the Model for Improvement/QI and insight into how it can be used to drive improvements toward ending homelessness and measure impact
- Experience with facilitation, public speaking, and coaching for improvement
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders
- Microsoft Office
- Google Business Apps
- Social media software and applications
Around 5 to 7 days of travel will be required every 3 months to attend semi-annual team retreats, community site visits, and other on-site trainings or convenings. Most travel is to major cities around the US, including current Built for Zero communities.
This position can be located anywhere in the continental United States with a preference for candidates in New York City, Los Angeles, Denver and Atlanta. The Built for Zero team has office space in both New York City and Los Angeles, but the position provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if such an arrangement meets the needs of Community Solutions.
Community Solutions provides generous benefits, including 25 days of PTO for new employees, 4 to 6 weeks paid leave for new parents, and assistance with grad school tuition. See a summary of our benefits here.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter via our online application portal, here.