The School of Interactive Arts (SIA) is a program within Urban Arts Partnership that teaches students the art and science of game design and development as a means of opening the door to future college and career opportunities. The program uses game design as an entry point to teach computer science while helping students develop skills in empathy, communication, and decision making. The program is extremely successful in helping students gain admission to a college of their choice and pursue careers related to game design and creative technology. Here’s what you’ll do:
The SIA Faculty Member teaches and creates curriculum for SIA’s in-school and out-of-school programs while working with students to create highly polished original games for competition submissions and college portfolios. This person has a passion for helping students reach their full potential at the intersection of creativity and technology. If teaching students computer science in an exciting, innovative, and engaging way gets you excited, this might be the role for you!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
TEACHING - 70%
- Instruct and facilitate SIA Mastery Pre-College classes on Saturdays throughout the academic year, and weekdays throughout the summer.
- Teach SIA Classroom Curriculum to schools on select weekdays during the academic year and facilitate professional development workshops for teachers enrolled in the SIA Classroom program.
- Teach students the APCSP course using SIA’s proprietary curriculum and oversee the administrative duties related to test examination and submission of student work.
- Work with the SIA team on curriculum development and other learning platforms as needed.
- Advise and help students make games for student competitions (i.e Games 4 Change); research new competitions for students to compete in.
- Help students polish their games in preparation for college portfolios and showcase events.
- Mentor, advise, and work with SIA students on class projects during office hours.
RESEARCH - 10%
- Research, conceive, and develop cutting-edge work in the field of interactive media and arts.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge base by learning and using emergent technologies.
- Provide documentation of the development process for at least one major research project per year - game, app, VR experience, etc.
- -Allotment of at least 200 hours/year for research/development time
- Meaningfully involve and incorporate SIA students in the research and development process.
PROGRAM OPERATIONS - 20%
- Work with SIA Project Manager to ensure timely completion of deliverables and participate in administrative tasks as necessary.
- Assist with maintaining ghostschool.net website as needed.
- Help update lessons in the Unity version of Ghost School 2.0 Learning Platform as needed.
- Reliably administer and collect attendance, surveys, assignments, and other SIA paperwork; help input, organize, and maintain relevant student and program information.
- Contribute to program development and evolution through dialogue with other faculty.
- Write letters of recommendation for High School Seniors applying to college and for other program and/or scholarship opportunities.
- Partner with the Development Team to create opportunities for classroom visits and Master Classes by artists and other guests.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or bootcamp certification in computer science, game development, software development, or related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- Experience teaching or mentoring high school-age students. TA experience accepted. Experience teaching an art form is preferred.
- Strong object-oriented programming skills.
- Strong understanding of Unity Engine usage and C# scripting. Knowledge of an additional programming language (i.e. HTML, CSS, etc.) preferred.
- Portfolio of completed interactive media projects - games, apps, websites, etc.
- Deep-seated and abiding passion for video games and other forms of interactive art.
WHY WORK AT UAP?
- Approved days for research projects.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance.
- Generous PTO benefits.
- 401k Retirement Plan + Company Match.
To apply please send a cover letter, salary requirements and your resume to email@example.com with “SIA Faculty” in the subject line.
UAP is an equal opportunity employer.