57 Willoughby Street
The Education Director has the responsibility for the overall operations and ensures standards for excellence are met on a daily basis. This individual will be responsible for assuring that the program is strategically positioned for the future and that all programmatic aspects are handled appropriately and in a timely manner. Other duties include regular planning, supervising staff, scheduling parent conferences, placement and supervision of classroom volunteers and interns, and regular classroom observations. This individual will ensure a comprehensive and developmentally appropriate curriculum is executed in accordance with the DOE-UPK Foundation for the Common Core and Head Start Performance Standards, which includes multi-cultural educational materials and STEM-related activities.
· Incorporates systems and procedures following Head Start Performance Regulations to ensure programmatic efficiency.
· Provides guidance and leadership to staff emphasizing the importance of the program achieving high standards of quality using the Head Start/Early Learn Framework.
· Maintains communication with regulatory agencies (DOE, ACS, and DOH) and the Administrative Team of Brooklyn Kindergarten Society.
· Oversees and monitors expenses such as purchase orders and check requests; monitors vendor transactions.
· Develops community partnerships and works with families, children and staff in a caring, professional manner to develop strong relationships.
· In conjunction with the DAPC, participates in planning meetings in which long and short-term goals for improvement are established.
· Facilitates the continuing professional development of all staff as part of the commitment to excellence, including annual refresher of child abuse and neglect, lost child protocol, emergency response and crisis management procedures.
· Works with Director of Social Services ensuring needs of children, staff and families are being met.
· Attends all Director and program committee meetings and trainings.
· Monitors the implementation of the responsibilities of employees through observations, monthly supervisory meetings, team meetings, and review of files.
· Assumes an active role in annual program self-assessment, Program Improvement Plan, NAEYC re-accreditation and license renewal.
· Reviews core School Readiness goals aligned with the DOE Common Core and UPK standards, as well as the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework.
· Knowledgeable of Head Start Performance Standards, Child Development and Early Learn Framework, including regulatory requirements.
· Oversees Teaching Strategies GOLD database and monitors teacher observations, checkpoints, and reports.
· Ensures children’s records are supported with proper documentation, such as assessments, observations, progress notes, written communications with parents, conferences, and home visits.
· Ensures all screenings and assessments of children’s development are completed within 45 days of their start date.
“Brooklyn Kindergarten Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.”
· Master’s degree in Early Childhood or Special Education.
· Valid New York State Teacher’s Certificate (or equivalent certification from another state, which is recognized by the New York State Department of Education).
· Two years group teacher’s experience plus academic course work pertinent to the appropriate age levels.
· Familiar with Microsoft office suites and related applications such as outlook.
· Good written and verbal skills
· 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
Minimum Education Required