Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is looking for qualified candidates for the full-time position of PR and Communications Manager. The candidate will be responsible for supporting the PR team in the execution of activities around the world that advance health and opportunity for all people. The PR and Communications Manager will work with a world-class team of communication experts with a culture of supportive teamwork, rigorous evaluation, innovation and good humor. This position will be part-time, with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time position. The position will be based in New York. Applicants must possess a valid work permit to work in New York City.
Responsibilities will include writing media materials including press releases, talking points, social media PR messages (tweets, Facebook posts) and other collateral, and crafting story angles and proactive pitches targeted to national and international media. This role will also support campaign launches, coordinate media requests and support speaking engagements and events. Reporting to the Director of PR, the PR and Communications Manager will also partner with technical staff to create materials relevant to a wide variety of programs ranging from environmental issues to tobacco control.
- Draft compelling content including press releases, op-eds, statements, blogs, and case studies tailored to specific audiences and channels.
- Monitor news and industry trends in order to proactively pitch ideas for stories and articles, including statements from our CEO and President.
- Craft news pitches for both global and country-specific outlets.
- Research speaking and thought leadership opportunities, draft pitches, and prepare staff for external engagements in order to increase our reach in front of target audiences.
- Proactively establish, cultivate and maintain relationships with the media to identify and execute pitch opportunities.
- Develop & update general and program brochures, media kits, key messages, fact sheets, & other collateral material as needed.
- Assist in the organization of press events, including speaking. engagements/panels, press briefings, media tours, set visits, and screenings, as applicable.
Qualifications and Skill Set
- BA or higher degree in public or media relations, journalism, or related field
- Three to five years of PR and/or communications experience.
- Excellent writer (a writing assignment will be given) and editor with great attention to detail.
- Strong media relations experience with ability to think creatively and generate new story angles.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and in cross-functional teams.
- A successful track record of pitching to the press and coordinating press outreach.
- Ability to bring new creative ideas to communicating the organization's work.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, engage with members of the press around the world.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across time zones and platforms.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Health communication or public health social marketing background
- Industry experience in public health / advocacy work
- Candidate based in NY
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation for full-time employees and pro-rata for part-time employees based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits and basic life and personal accident insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send CV, cover letter and writing sample, including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position applied for in the subject line. Closing date for applications is August 10, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.